Will COZ close it’s borders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought the port was closed indefinitely, no?

Closed this morning - that was Saturday.

Heard them still selling snorkling boat trips, someone seen one loading up people today.

• Harris County is under a mandatory Stay at Home order
  • The Mexican border is closed for non-essential travel
  • US travel warning Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory "advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19."
  • Cozumel is nearly shut down and locals on all social media outlets are asking people to please not risk infecting the island by traveling there
But you think people choosing to ignore all that and traveling there anyway is "refreshing".

People like you and Dave are the reason governments get forced to move from mandatory Stay at Home orders to declaring martial law.

"We're old. We do what we want. Rules don't apply to us if we think it's just "government/media-fueled hysteria"

I would not be making this trip unless it was "essential" to care for the workers who have loyally supported me for 17 years. I can't access my bank to set up auto payroll from the states. Some who realized my age as 74, might view this as heroic, are at least stop sniping at me.

Dave Dillehay

Oh please, get over yourself :rofl3:. Millions of people across the USA, from regular citizens to elected officials, openly flaunt the rule of law, from marijuana laws, to illegal immigration and so-called sanctuary cities (to name just a couple). Do any of those get one of your sanctimonious speeches about doing whatever the government says because it's "the law"?
I'm not saying there's no concern and that we shouldn't take precautions, but I also think we're being led down the garden path here, that most of this heavy-handed,economy destroying response is going to end up real bad, with much farther reaching effects, just like 9/11 gave us the ironically titled, "Patriot Act", that completely nullified large chunks of our constitutional protections, all in the name of "keeping us safe".
Wake up.
Uh huh. Right.

Let's see:

• flaunting weed laws
  • supporting illegal immigration
  • ignoring mandatory quarantine orders and travel warnings during a stated national emergency due to a global viral pandemic
Gosh, it's almost like one of these things isn't like the others.

I would not be making this trip unless it was "essential" to care for the workers who have loyally supported me for 17 years. I can't access my bank to set up auto payroll from the states. Some who realized my age as 74, might view this as heroic, are at least stop sniping at me.

Dave Dillehay
Seriously? This is because you can't access your bank account? You realize there are a dozen other ways to send money quickly and safely to Cozumel that don't involve flying there?

Seriously? This is because you can't access your bank account? You realize there are a dozen other ways to send money quickly and safely to Cozumel that don't involve flying there?
Anyone who has been around ScubaBoard for a while knows that I don't always see eye to eye with Dave, but on this one I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has ties both in the US and on Cozumel; either one can be considered home by him. I'm sure his reasons for what he is doing are a lot more complex than he is willing or able to share with us. I hope that upon his arrival on the island he will take the appropriate steps to make sure he isn't making the problems on the island worse.

Safe travels, Dave.

As long as there are posters here announcing their intent to do stupid and irresponsible crap, I'll keep responding with my opinions.

Bite me.
That's just your opinion, based on a dearth of information as to what all Dave is having to deal with. All we know is what he has posted here which is a minuscule portion of his situation. I am sure there's a lot more to it than just his dealings with his bank; neither of us has walked a mile in his moccasins.

We all have a lot to deal with; I'm sure you do as well, my fellow Austinite. I believe that during this time of stress on everyone we should err on the side of being considerate of others' unique situations.

By the way, thinking about your initial response, it looks like you may not have read Dave's post the way that I did; I think he was talking about a bank in Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom