Will I get grief from TSA for carrying on reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know it's totally allowed under TSA rules, but have people had any problems with TSA when carrying on a reg? I will be doing this for the first time in a couple of weeks, and want to know whether I need to be prepared (print outs from the TSA site, etc.), or if I don't need to stress it at all?

I had no trouble flying out of SFO with my reg, BC and camera housing a few weeks ago. They scanned my bag, hand searched it, then scanned it twice more to get all of the angles.

They did question my Leatherman pliers. I had removed the blades, but OK'd it upon hand inspection. But I got a lot of hassle coming back from Maui with the Leatherman. There were no blades, but the handles could be configured so that the tool was over 7" long, which is against the rules. I won't bring it again. I'll get some smaller pliers.

It seems that the TSAs at SFO see a lot of scuba equipment go thru -- they're used to it and recognize it. Over the past few years I've gotten more questions flying out of Maui and Kona, than from SFO. Go figure...

I went to Maui from Sacramento. Both ways, they didn't even open and inspect the reg bag.

No problem.

Thanks all for the posts. One less thing to worry about.

Just got back from Barbados...no problem. Took BP and wing on board too. That set off all the alarms but no problem.

One item however....the compass. It will show a bubble ....thus liquid filled. Some TSA guys are really ignorant about it and others go....Oh...it' a compass...have a good dive.

Seen it go both ways.

Never a problem but they have looked a few times.

One time I could see the inspector looking quizzically at his monitor and I figured it was my bag. I said "scuba regulator", he said "O yea", and off we went.

Many of us pack our mask in the carry-on as well. I keep my defog in my mask case and they did catch me on that. Now it needs to be in the 1 quart zip-lock bag of carry on liquid or checked.

You will have much less interest leaving your dive destination since they see them constantly.

Pete

Never an issue. One time I accidentally packed in the carry on my travel version of my spare parts box and tools. Bad idea. It had screw drivers, pliers and other things they didn't like. Also, it had some wet suit cement. Definitely they don't like that (flammable). Had to go get one checked bag back out and put the spare kit in it. What a pain...and lesson learned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom