Will it be too cold to learn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenone

Reaction score
I signed up for a lesson in buoyancy control for this sunday. The lesson will be in a quarry I am not sure of the water temp. but the outside air temp.is expected to be in the low to mid thirties at the time of my lesson. I will be renting a 7 mil. suit. My question is will I be to cold to get the most out of this lesson or will I be okay once I am under water. I am assuming that the water will around 50 degrees but I am only guessing.

Sorry to be blunt but A) why did you schedule a class in November if being cold is an issue? B) when you signed up for the class you should have asked the instructor those questions.

My question is will I be to cold to get the most out of this lesson or will I be okay once I am under water.

Not knowing you that is a tough question to answer. Do you get cold very easily or not? Do you do a lot of diving in cold water?

Very hard to tell...how subjective to cold water are you? I can tell you that two weekends ago I helped out (as a Divemaster) in an Openwater course in the local quarry where the temp was 54-58 degrees. The students were wearing 7mm suits with hoods and gloves and they seemed to manage OK.

-J.-

You're going to be anywhere from chilly to freezing important body parts off.

Here's a thought: See if your shop rents drysuits and get a drysuit cert along with the PPB course. Then you'll be toasty warm all year round.

teknitroxdiver:
You're going to be anywhere from chilly to freezing important body parts off.

Here's a thought: See if your shop rents drysuits and get a drysuit cert along with the PPB course. Then you'll be toasty warm all year round.
Would that be a good idea - if s/he wants to learn buoyancy control in a wet suit? Dry suit control is really different.

Hey GreenOne: It would help in future diving discussions if you'd complete your Profile with location - and seperately - your Dive Info. You can use the Quick Links above to reach those easily.

For 50+F, I wear a 7 mil jump suit, neop beanie, neop gloves, and heavy booties. Doesn't both me, after my face gets used to it. I'd hate to do 50F without any of those, though.

Staying warm on the suface interval can be almost as important. Dry towels, long coat, warm cap & gloves, drink warm liquids.

Hmm...good point..

Be sure and wear a hood. Your skull has thousands of tiny blood vessels and cappilaries right under the skin so you lose a lot of heat through your head. If you keep it covered you'll be a lot warmer.

teknitroxdiver:
Hmm...good point..

Be sure and wear a hood. Your skull has thousands of tiny blood vessels and cappilaries right under the skin so you lose a lot of heat through your head. If you keep it covered you'll be a lot warmer.
Yeah, wearing a wetsuit without a hood or beanie (I don't like hoods around my neck) or wearing a coat without a warm cap is only half he solution.

DandyDon:
Yeah, wearing a wetsuit without a hood or beanie (I don't like hoods around my neck) or wearing a coat without a warm cap is only half he solution.
Don,

I hadn't heard of the beanie, haven't seen it either.
Where do I look?
I've never liked the hood, I always feel choked even when I'm told it fits.
Of course, I could just retro fit my hood.

Tom

I have a friend that makes beanies-Terrapin Aqua-her name is Chris-she's fantastic-an avid diver and a great custom wetsuit maker-tell her I sent you.-M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom