Will it be too cold to learn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver:
You're going to be anywhere from chilly to freezing important body parts off.

Here's a thought: See if your shop rents drysuits and get a drysuit cert along with the PPB course. Then you'll be toasty warm all year round.

Many students learn dry suit diving right from the get-go. However, I have to warn you that the PADI course involves at least one confined water session: you are not allowed to go to Open water without it.

Pax,

Nomaster:
Don,

I hadn't heard of the beanie, haven't seen it either.
Where do I look?
I've never liked the hood, I always feel choked even when I'm told it fits.
Of course, I could just retro fit my hood.

Tom
The custome made beanie mihgt be neat, if she'll skip to Korea.

But they're available from lots of companies - just not as commonly seen.

They cover the important part of the head, but with only a strap that velcro closes under your chin. Super for those who don't like the clautophobic feeling of a hood. Covers the important part of the head. I've got a 2 mil Neop, a 1 mil-equiv Aeroskin, and in warm water I just wear a Lone Star Do Rag.

DandyDon:
The custome made beanie mihgt be neat, if she'll skip to Korea.

But they're available from lots of companies - just not as commonly seen.

They cover the important part of the head, but with only a strap that velcro closes under your chin. Super for those who don't like the clautophobic feeling of a hood. Covers the important part of the head. I've got a 2 mil Neop, a 1 mil-equiv Aeroskin, and in warm water I just wear a Lone Star Do Rag.
Thanks, I'll check out Terrapin-Wetsuits.com. Now that I know about them, maybe I'll notice them more often.

Tom

We took our open water last winter, did our checkout dives 2 weeks after ice-off. brrrrr! it made learning kind of tough.(we hurried to get through the dive) We chose this time to do it because it's not busy in the office this time of the year. If possible, do what you need to do. We just finished our AOW, it was beyond cold. The reason we took the AOW, is I need to have AOW for a trip to maui this winter, the whole time i was freezin my buns off, i was thinkin about hawaii!!!!!!!!

greenone:
I signed up for a lesson in buoyancy control for this sunday. The lesson will be in a quarry I am not sure of the water temp. but the outside air temp.is expected to be in the low to mid thirties at the time of my lesson. I will be renting a 7 mil. suit. My question is will I be to cold to get the most out of this lesson or will I be okay once I am under water. I am assuming that the water will around 50 degrees but I am only guessing.

I'm a new diver and I am qualifying in a quarry next weekend. Air temp will be about 45, and water will be 50. 7mm is the recommended with hood and gloves by my instructor. Good luck with it and post how you made out!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom