will soon be doing first saltwater dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Occasionally sharks do attack divers for no apparent reason, but it's very rare. I compare it to walking out west and stumbling across some bison. They can easily hurt or even kill you, so you should have your guard up, but if you don't threaten them, and you're not holding food, they'll probably ignore you. I've seen a few videos of people diving off of NC where the sharks came up and inspected the divers' lights. When I see one or a few swimming lazily along or sleeping, I'm happy to see them. They're so badass.

Shark Attack Risks While Diving -- the Real Story

If the oil rigs in the gulf are anything like the oil rigs in So. Ca., a diver who has never been in saltwater, and has very few dives, has no business being on them period! Open ocean currents, no bottom (if you have to ask about weight you aren't ready) sharks should be the least of your worries! Make your first saltwater dives some nice 40ft reefs, and slowly grow into bigger dives!

This is such a BAD idea.NO experience other than freshwater,no idea about proper weighing in this environment,no knowledge of how dangerous Rig diving can be,no knowledge of how currents on rigs can be tricky......................bad idea.

Yeah call me a party pooper but I would never take an inexperienced diver on a Rig .

End of rant.

If the oil rigs in the gulf are anything like the oil rigs in So. Ca., a diver who has never been in saltwater, and has very few dives, has no business being on them period! Open ocean currents, no bottom (if you have to ask about weight you aren't ready) sharks should be the least of your worries! Make your first saltwater dives some nice 40ft reefs, and slowly grow into bigger dives!
........lol...some of our(wife--middle child, 13 YO @ the time-- & myself)1st saltwater dives were in the GoM---just the 3 of us & the boat owner(non diver)....It was a little 'scary'--just the 3 of us 'in' that rig, but we made it----maybe it depends on how confident you are of your skills........& everything went just fine--ie all heads made it back safe & sound, & that was 25 years ago.....If you use your head & your skills, things will turn out OK-----IMO.......

........lol...some of our(wife--middle child, 13 YO @ the time-- & myself)1st saltwater dives were in the GoM---just the 3 of us & the boat owner(non diver)....It was a little 'scary'--just the 3 of us 'in' that rig, but we made it----maybe it depends on how confident you are of your skills........& everything went just fine--ie all heads made it back safe & sound, & that was 25 years ago.....If you use your head & your skills, things will turn out OK-----IMO.......
Let's face it "most" people come back from dives, it doesn't mean they are diving safely, or have business being on a particular dive, or that they even enjoyed the dive because it was to much for their current level! Add to it private boat, which probably means, no oxygen, no aed, and possibly no one with any knowledge on how to use it, (of course this might not be case at all) and I think in that scenario I'd choose to expand my dive difficulty in a different way (ie; hire guided dive, get 10-20 saltwater dives in on a shallow reef, etc.) but again, once somebody has the certification, they are free to expand their dive skills the way they see fit!

Warnings duly noted - but to get to a nice saltwater shore dive/reef dive we'd have to travel at least to another state - a rig dive is about the only option we have to do a saltwater dive. We're going on a cruise in January and plan to dive in the ports but are hoping for one saltwater dive before we go on that trip. If either of us feels the least bit nervous we'll just hang onto the rope for a while (something suggested by our scuba teacher). We're still trying to coordinate times with the experienced divers.

DiverSteve mentioned this, but it's important and I want to make sure it gets noticed:

Do you have a safety sausage?

Little diver heads sticking out of the water with even mild waves can be hard to see at some distance, and don't count on people being able to hear you yelling. If being found after a long time, dehydrated some some sunburning sounds bad to you, then everybody ought to have one in a pocket before doing this dive. And SMB, sausage, call it what you will, but get one.

Richard.

"(something suggested by our scuba teacher)."

becca, your instructor is your MAJOR piece of advice to all your questions----I'd listen to him/or her, not this internet chatter...lol, maybe that's the reason we(ie the family) had such a good time our 1st 100 or so 'solo' trips---nothing to clutter our minds......:).......I'm gunna guess you'll do just fine.......AND----do get a SS like someone suggested---we didn't get our 1st till dive ?1000+.....Now??-I don't leave the boat---or land---without it......

As I've mentioned in other threads my husband and I got certified last September - since then we've made several trips to dives lakes and a river (and cleaned the bottom of a friend's pool :)) In the next few weeks we will be doing a "rig dive" in the Gulf of Mexico - plan to descend on a line - wondering how much weight I should add - is there a standard? I've been told by some friends that they double the weight they use in fresh water when they dive in saltwater.
Also - not sure that we'll come across any - but what exactly do you do if you're swimming around and happen to see a shark? Do you continue swimming without any fast movements or turn and go another way or what?
My 3/2 is comfortable down to about 75 degrees, and I wear 12 lbs with an al80 tank (and I weigh about 185) with the 3/2. If you see a shark take pictures! They are awesome! If the shark is curious, going a different way isn't going to shake him. You can let the shark know that you are aware of him by turning an facing him. Unless you see obvious signs of the shark being agitated (quick turns, arched body), just enjoy the opportunity to see one.

Salt by itself isn't more dangerous. And if she has gotten properly weighted for the fresh dives already, then it's just an extra few minutes trying it out on the surface to get it within range. Sounds as though she'll have knowledgeable buddies/captain who have dived this platform a lot. And she will wear the full suit now that we've asked her to.

I don't want to sound Pollyannaish, but my first platform dive was 90 miles offshore Texas (the HI-389 or 376 I recall) in 300 feet, as part of a Flower Gardens/Stetson trip. We of course stayed above 80 or so. It was about my 10th or 12th post-cert dive, about halfway into my 12-dive trip aboard the FLING, some 15 years ago. Conditions were perfect, it worked out well.

If vis is decent (usually is, depending how far offshore) then current is the main bugaboo. So yeah, don't dive if the current is strong, but won't there be a test dive first by one of the experienced folks on her boat first to feel that out? In a mild current I'd rather be inside a rig since you can grab a stiffener or tag line to get a break from finning (wear gloves, for sure).

Maybe I was an example of "FRIWAFTT"*, but from how she's described it, and assuming she's in good company, I think Becca will be okay. And I'm not disagreeing with the cautionary notes above, but it all depends on the conditions that day.

But Becca, I agree with Diver85, listen to your instructor more than me..

*"Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom