Will THere be a EP-3 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prop Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
From any manufacturer?
Dang, I'd like to know before I take the EPL-2 plunge...
If you look (open two windows side by side) they look very similar physically.
E-PL2
E-P3
I know the buttons are different and the the -3 has a wheel. But outward appearance, they look close.
Anyone in the know, Know if there is a housing in the works?
With the -3, The quickest auto focus interests me as does 3D video...
Crap, What's a man to do?????
Wait, or do it up with the EPL-2????????

Olympus has made housings for the EPL1/2/3. They announce these housings the day the camera is announced. Since they have not announced a housing for the EP3, I think it's a safe bet to say they won't have one for that model.
10bar has housings for the epl1/2.
nauticam has a housing for the epl2.
There were some announced housings for the ep1/2, but not sure if they ever went into production.
So, from a historical standpoint, you're more likely to see housings for the epl3.
It's hard for the 3rd party housing manufacturers to compete with a the oly housing, which is a quality housing in the $600-700 range.

Yes, Oly has been sending around the prototype to dealers, specs at their website. Should be out Nov - Jan, lol.

Can you please post a link to the specs on their website?
That would be interesting.

Olympus will have a housing for the E-PL3, Olympus PT-EP05L Underwater Housing for the E-PL3 [oly.6300510] - $799.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

I would not hold my breath waiting on a housing from Olympus for the E-P3, which has the same sensor and like performence to the E-PL3.

Housings for the E-P1 and E-P2 have come from Athena and that would likely be the best bet for a E-P3 housing, ƒJƒƒ‰ƒnƒEƒWƒ“ƒO

Phil Rudin

Olympus will have a housing for the E-PL3, Olympus PT-EP05L Underwater Housing for the E-PL3 [oly.6300510] - $799.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

I would not hold my breath waiting on a housing from Olympus for the E-P3, which has the same sensor and like performence to the E-PL3.

Housings for the E-P1 and E-P2 have come from Athena and that would likely be the best bet for a E-P3 housing, ƒJƒƒ‰ƒnƒEƒWƒ“ƒO

Phil Rudin

Phil,
Would you go with the E-PL2 or E-PL3?
Is the Focus speed that much greater on the 3 compared to the 2?
Any other differences I'm missing?
Will the really nice Zen port work on the new Oly 3 housing?

I have no planned trips in the near future, I never know with work though. The macro light for the E-PL3 seems rather "gimmicky" And the flash on the 3 makes a bulge in the housing and therefore physically larger.
I value your opinion...
Thank You!

I do not see anything bad about the flash hump. On the contrary, it will give you a positive buoyancy (no need for float arms etc.) as well as the ability to shoot with the internal flash. On my last trip my inon s2000 failed and I was really happy to be able to shoot with internal flash.

May be Reef will post a short review of the housing if they have it already?

I have used the E-PL3 yet and have not seen the new housing so would not know if the Zen ports will work without messing up the lighting system on the housing. I have used the E-PL2 with the Olympus housing and found the auro focus improved over E-PL1. I will be at Reef Photo today and I will report on the new housing if they have one in stock, but I think not yet.

While at Reef Photo today on other business I did ask about the new Olympus housing for the E-PL3 and it is not yet in stock. The issue of how easy or not it will be to mount the ZEN underwater domes for the PEN cameras is still unknown. I did have a chance to look at the E-PL3 camera and the latest version of the 14-42 "KIT" lens, auto focus is fast and should lay to rest any issues of shutter lag assocuated with the first PEN's.

Phil Rudin

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom