Will this make my tank explode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Porkfried

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If I find a way to fill up a tank at the a hundred feet deep or so, then let it float up where the pressure is low, will my tank blow up?

I don't have the means or motives to do this, it's more of a science question.

Thank you.

Does your tank pressure increase when it is filled on land (low ambient pressure) and you dive to 100 feet?

Guess you need to return to your phisics class.
Your tank is not a flexible body.

So No it won't

If I find a way to fill up a tank at the a hundred feet deep or so, then let it float up where the pressure is low, will my tank blow up?

I don't have the means or motives to do this, it's more of a science question.

Thank you.
Hi Porkfried,

I think I see what you are asking.

Assuming you are talking about filling your cylinder so it is at its working pressure above ambient, bringing it to the surface will only increase its internal pressure relative to (the surface) ambient by about 45 psi. This is well within the tolerance of any scuba cylinder with which I am familiar, and it should not explode.

k

If you had a 3000 psi tank and filled it to 3000 at 100 feet and assuming it was filled to 3000 psi above the ambient pressure at 100 feet and not 3000 psi above atmospheric pressure and brought it to the surface it would be no different than filling the tank to 3044 psi on the surface

no...

...now if you were to completely fill a balloon at 4 ATA (99 fsw) and let it go to 1 ATA (surface).... POP!

My guess is something like that could happen with enough pressure differential--like maybe in space? Or perhaps filling it up at the bottom of the Challenger Deep then taking it up 6 miles?

I think it'll be just fine.. I have a set of tanks that I regularly have filled as though they are at 3075 ffw as reference for adjusted ambient pressure. So your fill @ 4ATM ambient should be just fine.
Your fill @ 101 1/2% overfill doesn't even come close to my typical 160% fills, IMHO you'll be ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom