Will you buy a reg off ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It was not something I planned to do, but I just notice a very good deal on Oceanic EOS on ebay. About $200 in saving compare to LDS. The seller seems legit, rating is 99% with 1000+ sales. What would be the disadvantage?

I've bought a few things off ebay and have been lucky in that the condition was always as described or better. But that's the danger - you never know. Sometimes, buyers don't know what they're selling and mis-describe items. Once in a while it's intentional. And very few sellers actually have used scuba items (the power sellers seem to buy lots of used stuff bulk) so you're never sure if it works. At the very least that means you need to bring whatever you get into your shop to have it serviced prior to use.

I've also found that it's hard to get real deals off ebay. A lot of stuff gets sniped up in price in the last few minutes of the auction, and oftentimes really used stuff ends up being less than 20% discounted over just buying new. Add to that the fact that you may have to pay your shop $xx to inspect/service the item, and you have to wonder if you're really saving any money.

In the end, it helps a lot if you know exactly what you're looking for and can ask the right questions of the seller prior to making a bid. If you're OK with that, and are patient in terms of waiting for a really good deal to pop up, ebay is fine.

I have bought a lot of gear off eBay. Only once did I get something that did not susbequently work, and even then it only stopped working about 4 months after I got it, so it was more bad luck than getting ripped off (no consolation, as I still don't have any warranty).

You can save a lot of money using eBay though. I have done and I will do again.

The saving is exactly why I am looking at it. EOS goes for about $630 at LDS, add tax, I am looking at close to $700. On ebay I can get for under $450 if I act fast because of the "buy it now" is still there. It looks like a major saving to me. It is a the price I was going to pay for a delta4 at LDS.

I know I will probably NOT have any warranty from Oceanic. My main concern is the functionality of the reg out of box. I am not sure if it is common for a reg to need adjustment or some sort of service. so what warranty covers? What is the likelihood a reg will need warranty work?

Nobody should ever buy anything scuba gear off Ebay. Don't do it!

It's, mine! All mine I tell you!

I'd buy it, but I would also send it for servicing before using it under the water. Add that to the cost and see if it is still worth it. You can generally save a fair bit doing this.

eelnora,
It's fairly easy to get a good deal on Oceanic gear. Oceanic has a minimum advertised price, not a minimum selling price, so many dealers will sell well below retail, and you will have a full manufacturer's warranty. CALL Leisurepro, and Scubatoys (there are others as well) and ask for their best price. Do not pay attention to the prices on their websites, since these are the controlled prices.

I bought 6 regs off e-bay, 2 brand new apeks (from a brick-and-mortar dive far from me) and 4 used scubapro mk10 with g250 or g295 seconds. All were professionally examined and rebuilt as needed. The new ones needed nothing... the 4 used regs are set up as pony/stage bottle regs. All have worked well. I also have two, bought new, scuba pro regs (mk 25, g600 combos with secondaries). This provides a complete setup for me and my gf, including ponies, stages and a spare..

None of the used units cost more than $80. (1st & 2nd stage), with the shop work and shipping, about $125 each. Got bunch of weird bits along with the used regs -- almost worth the purchase in humor value. Things like a reg spliced into the bc inflation hose (yes another reg worthless to me), fancy painted covers, and valve and flex gizmos.

Regs are one of the items i actually think e-bay is good for, as a competent tech can fix or declare unsafe with high accuracy (assuming a good tech). I worry more about rubber goods (where deterioration can be missed more easily), bcs (with hard to check bits), and wet and dry suits (where fit matters)

Last edited:
To really save $$ on regulators from ebay you probably need to be looking at used regulators. I have purchased a couple dozen used stages in the past 10 years from ebay with no disappointments. But I know what I am buying and their values and only pull the trigger on really good buys. For new regulators, I would look at a number of online sources, including ebay, to find thye best buy.

I don't know about regulators on eBay, but I do know that guitar and watch listings on eBay are absolutely rife with fraud.

For that reason, I won't buy anything that costs more than $20 off eBay. But obviously a lot of folks do and it works for them. To each his own. Obviously, you have to decide if the benefits outweigh the risks and act accordingly.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom