Wing and Harness advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why you're limiting yourself to the high markup, high snoot brands.

Give Deep Sea Supply a look. Tobin's gear is very well made, very well thought out and comes with excellent customer service.

Scubapro is just a copy of the Halcyon really. The Scubapro is 'jazzed up' a little with some unnecessary glitz. Otherwise, they'll probably function very similarly. What's the price difference?

I've not trialled the scubapro yet, so cannot comment more than that. I've owned 4 Halcyon wings and never had cause for disappointment. I'd still use Halcyon for single tank, but I prefer a smaller volume and 'H' don't do less than 30lbs.

I've got a scubapro SS plate. Pretty much the same as the Halcyon except it has a bright finish.

What I don't like about the Scubapro wings is their OPV's. The pull cord has one of the big knobs on the end. I was told that that is required in Europe. That may be BS. Scubapro also uses the same OPV they use on their other BC's. Not very easy to self service. Maybe it is not an issue as I have never heard anyone having a problem with the OPV's. I however often remove the opv's from my Oxycheq wings when I rinse them. In addition, I was able to change out my OEM opv's to the DSS ones.

The Scubapro wings also have the same inflators that they use on their other BC's. It's a "variable speed" inflator.Volume of gas depends on how hard the inflate button is mashed.

Scubapro is just a copy of the Halcyon really. The Scubapro is 'jazzed up' a little with some unnecessary glitz. Otherwise, they'll probably function very similarly. What's the price difference?

I've not trialled the scubapro yet, so cannot comment more than that. I've owned 4 Halcyon wings and never had cause for disappointment. I'd still use Halcyon for single tank, but I prefer a smaller volume and 'H' don't do less than 30lbs.

The price is not a problem I just want to buy the best.

The problem is in defining "best."

Better to determine your needs and then see what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of good quality gear out there. It's really hard to define "best". I've seen some gear I definitely thing is inferior (don't buy Frog wings), but with many brands, it comes down to small things like the precise shape of a wing, or the exactly amount of lift, or the sizes the plate comes in. Customer service is a big consideration as well; if you are buying ScubaPro from a shop, you will be dealing with that shop for customer service. Do you like them? If you are buying brands like DSS or Halcyon, you may be dealing with the company or a regional rep for service. Both companies have excellent reputations.

Price can also be a determinant, and more expensive is not necessarily better.

The problem is in defining "best."

Better to determine your needs and then see what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. To the OP a plate is just a hunk of metal. No matter what brand you buy it want tare up. Also the harness is just webbing any name brand is just as good as another. I looked at Scuba Toys, they had Dive Rite gear on sale and I bet it is cheaper than the names you are looking at. The plate that they have cheap is a HOG SS plate for $76.45. Just thought I would give you a cheaper option. I got all Dive Rite except for my wing it is just as good as any other name brand. Scuba Toys has excellent customer service, and anything over $50.00 ships free. Also if you tell them you are a ScubaBoard member you get a discount.
HOG Stainless Steel Back Plate discounts on sale HOG
Dive Rite Basic Harness discounts on sale Dive Rite
Dive Rite 1 and 2 Inch Crotch Strap W/Scooter Ring discounts on sale Dive Rite
Dive Rite Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap discounts on sale Dive Rite

Last edited:
... a plate is just a hunk of metal. No matter what brand you buy it want tare up. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteTankStrap

I have to somewhat disagree on this. Well, I do agree that durability is pretty much guaranteed with a stainless plate (especially if you keep it rinsed and mind the places where other things are attached), but I don't agree that it's "just a hunk of metal."

For example, many brands of plates only come in one "standard" size. That's great for the average size male (whom annoyingly, everything fits), but not so great if you are not one of them. I needed a small plate and so that cut out some brands because they only make one size, or they make two sizes (which is better), but still not a "just right" one. So that's one way in which a plate is not "just a hunk of metal."

Then too, there are other small-detail differences, which may or may not matter to individual buyers (I happen to care; many people probably don't).

Blue Sparkle

I have to somewhat disagree on this. Well, I do agree that durability is pretty much guaranteed with a stainless plate (especially if you keep it rinsed and mind the places where other things are attached), but I don't agree that it's "just a hunk of metal."

For example, many brands of plates only come in one "standard" size. That's great for the average size male (whom annoyingly, everything fits), but not so great if you are not one of them. I needed a small plate and so that cut out some brands because they only make one size, or they make two sizes (which is better), but still not a "just right" one. So that's one way in which a plate is not "just a hunk of metal."

Then too, there are other small-detail differences, which may or may not matter to individual buyers (I happen to care; many people probably don't).

Blue Sparkle

I see what you are saying about the fit, but can you explain the "small detail differences"? Again when I look at them they are all the same slots for the following a harness, crotch straps 1",and 2", tank straps, holes for tank bands for doubles, and holes for mounting things to.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom