Wing BCD and Weight issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the reasons I went BP/W was to get away from having to wear any weight at all. I only dive warm water though (coldest is the FL springs). What I've done when I needed weight though (rough seas, wanted extra weight to get down fast), was slipped a couple 2 lbs weights on my cam bands, or attached little weight pouches on my bc strap.

Out of curiosity do you find that you really need the crotch strap? I never use mine as everything stays put no matter what orientation I'm in. the BP/W really feels like it's glued to me underwater.

I find my weight belt a PITA to put on after my crotch strap, so it typically goes on before my bp/w. I have two xs scuba style weight pockets that are right out in front, and they are not quick dump, but just plain old velcro.

So they are easily accessed and easily dumpable.

As long as my buddy is aware of my weight system it should not matter.

I also carry 4 pounds on my cam bands in velcro pockets as well. It helps with my trim and descending, since I like to be in the trim ( prone ) position right from the start.

As long as you can get to your weight and so can your buddy, to dump, without restriction, I do not see an issue with having the weight belt under your harness

First of all, quit looking for a gear answer to a training problem. You DON'T need to change anything in your setup or buy new stuff.
It is perfectly fine to have a crotch strap over the top of the weight belt, in fact, some prefer it. Think about this, are you REALLY going to dump that weight belt at depth? If you did you would experience an out of control ascent which would only make your previous problem worse. If you felt the need to dump the weight belt on the surface, how hard will it be to reach down and unclip the crotch strap?

Lastly, please make sure you are properly weighted. Most divers NEVER do a proper weight check. How important is that crotch strap? If you are properly wieght ed at the end of the dive, you only need a little bit of air in your BC to keep you afloat. It's a BC, not a life raft, please don't try to ride it like one one the surface. In this position on the surface your BC shouldn't be trying to ride up over your head. That is a result of too much weight on the belt, requiring too much air in the BC.

I have to agree with fire-diver, even in the case of an emergency, why would you drop your weight. If you are a tec diver I sure hope you know what the proper weight you need. So it should not be pulling you down like a rock. With this, if you are in an emergency you should easily be able to swim to the surface with the weight belt still on. I never understood the true need of a quick release except for a brand new diver who thinks they need 50 lbs of weight to get down.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything wrong with a diver wanting to have enough weight ditchable so that they can render themselves really positive at the surface. You CAN ditch a weight belt by opening the waist strap on the harness, but then the wing will ride up on your back. You can also use something like a DUI Weight & Trim harness, where the weights are in pouches that are ditchable. You can buy ditchable weight pockets from Halcyon or ScubaPro, that mount on the waist strap. There are a lot of options.

Seconded on the DUI Weight & Trim harness. I bought one a couple of weeks ago after almost having a belt and hard weights slide past my non-hips. I only have four dives with the harness, all drysuit, but I really like it so far.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom