Wing Choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowsandreels

Reaction score
I am a pretty new diver, I've decided to head the DIR route for rec diving (single tanks). I dive cold water with a 7mm/hood/gloves. When I get a chance I will have a drysuit. I just ordered a hammerhead SS backplate & STA. I am now a little baffeled at the choices for wings. My LDS sells Halcyon, but they seem to be on the high end of price. I am not against ordering from the internet. I would love to hear some brand recommendations with a few reasons why. Thank you.

bowsandreels:
I am a pretty new diver, I've decided to head the DIR route for rec diving (single tanks). I dive cold water with a 7mm/hood/gloves. When I get a chance I will have a drysuit. I just ordered a hammerhead SS backplate & STA. I am now a little baffeled at the choices for wings. My LDS sells Halcyon, but they seem to be on the high end of price. I am not against ordering from the internet. I would love to hear some brand recommendations with a few reasons why. Thank you.

Do a search there is a ton of info but the DSS wing is built like a tank and you can toss your STA.
www.deepseasupply.com

I'm not so sure I'd be telling him to toss the STA. Might actually need it. And it DARN sure makes changing wings easier!

bowsandreels:
What is the advantage to getting rid of the STA?

Here we go again...

PerroneFord:
I'm not so sure I'd be telling him to toss the STA. Might actually need it. And it DARN sure makes changing wings easier!
Actually not ... with a DSS setup, the STA is built into the wing, and the tank straps are on the plate. I can change out my DSS wing much more quickly and easily than I can either my Halcyon or Oxycheq wings.

I have the Eclipse (40#), Oxycheq (45#) and DSS Torus (35#) singles wings ... and while I like all three of them, I think the DSS performs the best of the three.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not saying that the DSS wing and removal system isn't excellent. It is. All I am saying is that not all plates, and all wings are compatible. Some wings don't even have slots for cam bands. Some use different spacing. Using an STA makes all that moot.

But to each his own.

PerroneFord:
I'm not saying that the DSS wing and removal system isn't excellent. It is. All I am saying is that not all plates, and all wings are compatible. Some wings don't even have slots for cam bands. Some use different spacing. Using an STA makes all that moot.

But to each his own.
Definitely a valid concern, as TSandM found out last night when she tried the Torus wing ... the cam strap slots in her Oxycheq plate are set much wider than the ones in the DSS plate, which made strap routing difficult.

Choices of plate, wing, and harness style must all be considered when purchasing a BP/W system.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

bowsandreels:

First thing you need to do is determine how much lift you need. Once this is known you can narrow down the choices a bit.

Your wing needs to do two things; float your rig at the surface without you in it and compensate for the loss or potential loss of buoyancy of your exposure suit.

The weight of your rig can be estimated reasonably closely, add the weight of your tank and plate + regs, + what ever else you might have on the rig, can light etc.

In cold water it's almost never the weight of the rig that governs the minimum lift required unless you put 100% of your ballast on the rig.

The second data point needed is the initial buoyancy of your exposure suit. For a wetsuit you can rollit up throw it in the pool and add weight 'till it just sinks. This number represents the max buoyancy your wetsuit can loose due to compression. A full 7mil suit on a average sized person can be 24-28 lbs. More if you have layers. There are many variables on neoprene, type, age etc. Do the test.

It's pretty likely that a Drysuit will be more buoyant than a wetsuit. Not guaranteed, but most people moving to a DS add weight. This means potentially you might need more wing in a DS. No real way to know exactly without having the undies and suit to test.

There are a number of good quality wings available. My preferences are for wings with a sewn outer shell and and a welded inner bladder, streamlined shape.....of course that's the type I make.

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom