Wing falling off BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gnwes

Contributor
Reaction score
Tobin,
I have a problem, well its more like a pain an annoyance than anything else. Its that when there isnt a tank attached to my bp/w (ss w/lcd30) and im hanging it to dry, it [the wing] likes to fall off the cam straps, this is also happens when i carry it w/out a tank attatched. It seems the little rubber 'nipples' i guess you would call them, dont do that great of a job holding the wing in place. My question is this, do you sell anything that would prevent this from happening or can you suggest something i could buy or do to help this problem? I noticed on other brands (oms and such) that the sta + wingnuts does this job.

thanks
Wes

Tobin,
I have a problem, well its more like a pain an annoyance than anything else. Its that when there isnt a tank attached to my bp/w (ss w/lcd30) and im hanging it to dry, it [the wing] likes to fall off the cam straps, this is also happens when i carry it w/out a tank attatched. It seems the little rubber 'nipples' i guess you would call them, dont do that great of a job holding the wing in place. My question is this, do you sell anything that would prevent this from happening or can you suggest something i could buy or do to help this problem? I noticed on other brands (oms and such) that the sta + wingnuts does this job.

thanks
Wes

I use two plastic bolts with plastic wingnuts. I've been using this for two years. No issues. But Tobin does not approve. :popcorn:

They're just guides for alinging the cylinder and plate+wing. They aren't meant to be load-bearing. I've found, however, that if you carry the plate by the harness, the wing will stay attached. Worst case, it takes 15 seconds to push the wing back onto the plate. I just don't see the concnern. When I intend to move the plate for a good distance, I pull the wing off completely. I hate using an STA, since it adds more time for disassembly and the possibility of losing hardware. I get enough of that with my doubles. If you want a permanent solution, the DSS STA-less solution wasn't for you.

I would advise you anyway to remove the wing from the plate when you transport or dry the thing. One less chance of accidentally damaging the wing...

But, as already mentioned, it's the tank that holds the wing in place, not the two rubber pieces, they are there just for easy setup. There's really no good reason to keep it all assembled after the dive is over, plus it packs nicer for transport/storage.

Maybe you just need new nipples. Maybe your nipples are worn down from over-use. Maybe you could try your friend's nipples to see if they are better.

Maybe... if you make sure that you have all of the water out of the wing before you hang it up, it would be less likely to come apart.

If you want to use something besides your nipples (or your friend's nipples) you could use SS sex bolts... I suppose. You can get them at any hardware store. If you pm me I'll tell you where you can get them online.

Mod Edit

Tobin,

thanks
Wes

The rubber pull tabs are not intended to secure the wing to the plate, they are only intended to locate the wing on the plate, to keep it aligned until you close the cambands.

When you have no tank mounted you can easily keep the win in place by changing slightly how you support the plate and harness.

If you slide your left hand under the right shoulder strap and then reach over the top of the plate with your thumb you can "pin" the wing against the top of the plate. This will prevent the pull tabs / rubber locator's from pulling out of the plate.

This also leaves you other hand free to manage the cambands as you slide the rig onto another tank.

I would not recommend bolting the wing to the plate. Removing your wing from the plate for transport or storage or cleanup is the best way to prevent inadvertent pinch flats caused by the plate from damaging the wing.

Tobin

Maybe you just need new nipples. Maybe your nipples are worn down from over-use. Maybe you could try your friend's nipples to see if they are better.

The material used to mold the rubber locator's is quite tough, wear is an unlikely problem. The wing can pull of the back plate with brand new locator's, particularly if the wing is wet. Supporting the wing as I described above will easily solve the issue.

Maybe... if you make sure that you have all of the water out of the wing before you hang it up, it would be less likely to come apart.

I would not recommend hanging up your rig with the wing on the back plate. Our system is designed to allow easy removal of the wing from the plate. Hang up your plate and harness and store your wing separately.

If you want to use something besides your nipples (or your friend's nipples) you could use SS sex bolts... I suppose. You can get them at any hardware store. If you pm me I'll tell you where you can get them online.

Mod Edit

Leaving your wing bolted to the back plate increases the chances of damaging your wing, if you drop the rig and the lower edge of the plate "pinches" the wing between it an the ground or boat deck.

Tobin

thanks for the replies, its only a minor inconvenience that is worth dealing with to have as great a rig as i have. :14:

Mod Edit

He said nipples.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom