Wing for cave use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am gonna be in cancun in march for a complete cave cert class and would like to bring my own wing. I already own a oms 32 and love it but it aint gonna cut it for double al 80's or steel 100's. The instructor doesn't like wings over 50lbs for training purposes so I was gonna pick up the OMS 45 or larry green edition 45. Can anyone give me advice on which model to get.

The instructor doesn't like wings over 50lbs for training purposes so I was gonna pick up the OMS 45 or larry green edition 45. Can anyone give me advice on which model to get.

Between these two... or are you interested in other options?

for the double 80's the 45# larry green is amazing ... if youre going to be doubling up the 100's, and adding in some stage bottles, 45# might not be enough ... at that point you might need more lift than the instructor wants, say 55# or 60#

The Larry Green 45 is probably the best wing OMS makes. It works pretty well for AL80 doubles. Between the two wings you mentioned, it is no contest.

If you are open to other options, the Oxycheq Vertex series are hands down my favorite doubles wings.

For AL80s in MX I have a 38lb Halcyon explorer that I got used. Works great and was a good deal. I tried a larger ~55lb wing down there for a couple days and it was way way too big. Just a big floppy bag. Something that big can work, its just so much nicer to have a smaller wing.

I would look for something used in the 40-45lb category. Since who knows if you'll like the diving or make it down there that much.

?
I am gonna be in cancun in march for a complete cave cert class and would like to bring my own wing. I already own a oms 32 and love it but it aint gonna cut it for double al 80's or steel 100's. The instructor doesn't like wings over 50lbs for training purposes so I was gonna pick up the OMS 45 or larry green edition 45. Can anyone give me advice on which model to get.

I would buy what you can use during training and afterwards. If that means a wing that has 55# of lift, so be it. I find it somewhat curious why an instructor would seem to want his students to shy away from wings bigger than 55#. I believe in the right wing for the dives at hand. Maybe the instructor meant something else that the statement that he doesn't like bigger wings for training....?

But, think of how/what kind of diving you will do later on and what kind of tanks you will use. If you are going to have double 100's and two stages.... a small 40-45 wing is not going to cut it. On the other hand a 55# wing will taco your 7" tanks (Al80/100's).

If you will not do stages etc for the foreseeable future, go with a smaller wing that will streamline with the tanks and dives you do now now. You may be surprised at the 32# wing..... are you sure it is not going to cut it? Have you done some calculations on that? I have not seen one of thise, it could be that it is not wide enough, or that lift is not enough.... or it may be...

I know, not much of a decision, but this is what cave diving is like to an extend. Making equipment decisions yourself based on the dives at hand. Asking for reasoning behind things is also a good way to make sure you understand and not just copy.

You may be surprised at the 32# wing..... are you sure it is not going to cut it? Have you done some calculations on that?
The OMS 32 is a singles wing.

Pooey. Don't try and cheat by getting one (mis-sized) wing for everything. If you need 55-60lbs for doubles at home get one of those. But don't try to manage that big bag with a 5mm wetsuit and AL80s in MX, get a smaller (used if need be) 40-45lb wing for your MX diving. 50+lbs is too big for MX and I can understand why an instructor would steer students away from glad bags that size and larger.

I have not tried the wings you mentioned or were recommended, but 40-45lbs is about the right size for me. I'm 5'8" and use a 5lb v-weight + 7mm wetsuit in MX with the 38lb wing. edit: I think I paid $175 for it - alot less than a new wing.

I believe many of the rentals down there (from what I have been told) are AL80s. So it makes perfect sense to not want wings bigger than 50#. Gets hard to vent them on 80s which makes for a mess in training...

I've used the larger Larry Green wing and didn't care for it. I have a DSS 45, but I don't like the shape for caving, though I understand Tobin has changed the shape since I bought mine. The Oxycheq vertex wings are amazing. The Halcyon Evolve wings are very nice. I have the 60 and my buddy has the 40 for his LP85s.

Lots of good choices out there.

?

I would buy what you can use during training and afterwards. If that means a wing that has 55# of lift, so be it. I find it somewhat curious why an instructor would seem to want his students to shy away from wings bigger than 55#. I believe in the right wing for the dives at hand. Maybe the instructor meant something else that the statement that he doesn't like bigger wings for training....?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom