Wing for cave use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe many of the rentals down there (from what I have been told) are AL80s. So it makes perfect sense to not want wings bigger than 50#. Gets hard to vent them on 80s which makes for a mess in training...

There are no steel doubles for rent (at least there have never been any staged at the community fill station I use). There are 40 or 50 sets of AL80 doubles moving through there on a daily basis though.

O.K. I'm going to say this only because after several years of being very active
in the industry, and in cave diving, and having gone through all this myself, I
think I can give good advice on this. Forget about Al 80's.... Cave divers dive steel
tanks. You will end up with steel dbls. A 45# wing will easily handle the large heavy
Steel tanks (low pressure 104's 108's ect ) and a stage bottle ( that's where the Al
72's and 80's come in to play). I prefer a 50# wing in that configuration, but 45#'s
is enough, wet or dry. If your going to use steel 100's 45# is perfect, and you could
use it for stage diving in the future.

oh ya , I'd pick the LG wing.

Forget about Al 80's.... Cave divers dive steel
tanks. You will end up with steel dbls.
Great advice . . .for Florida. :shakehead: The OP said he was doing his training in Mexico.
A 45# wing will easily handle the large heavy
Steel tanks (low pressure 104's 108's ect ) and a stage bottle ( that's where the Al
72's and 80's come in to play). I prefer a 50# wing in that configuration, but 45#'s
is enough, wet or dry.
Not for everybody. The LG 45 was not enough lift for my X8-130s.

O.K. I'm going to say this only because after several years of being very active
in the industry, and in cave diving, and having gone through all this myself, I
think I can give good advice on this. Forget about Al 80's.... Cave divers dive steel
tanks. You will end up with steel dbls. A 45# wing will easily handle the large heavy
is enough, wet or dry. If your going to use steel 100's 45# is perfect, and you could
use it for stage diving in the future.

oh ya , I'd pick the LG wing.

LOL so much for your "good advice", I guess you missed the part about this class being in the Cancun area. The rare steel tank in MX is so corroded that filling it is a matter of life and death. There's no way he'll be in steel 104s down there because there aren't any. They use AL80 doubles down there, that's it, basically no exceptions, get over it.

can't... help... my... self...

Oxycheq 360 degree loop Vertex 42.

The wing so right for Yucatan caving that it even speaks spanish and drinks tequila. On sale now for 290 bucks from Jakub at Golem Gear.

Golem Gear, Inc. - Oxycheq Vertex wing for Doubles

or... if you simply have to have the best...

Oxycheq Vertex 42 Extreme Series
Golem Gear, Inc. - Vertex Extreme Series 360 Wing

Listen to this man :wink: Or find yourself a non-bungied used wing in the 40-45lb category to start with, most will work well enough to figure out if this kinda diving is for you.

Man you guys are rough... What I mean to say.... is to buy a wing that
you can use after training, 45# is fine. All cave divers end up in florida.
and they all use steel tanks. In Mexico because of the salt they dive
Al 80's, but N. Florida is a one day drive from MN. and you ain't rentin'
Al nuttin roun' here!

oh ya my seatec 45# worked great with my E7-130's this morning, and last night.
oh I get it Skiguy you amp goes to 8......

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom