Wing for cave use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay to answer a few questions that popped up while I was at work.

The instructor has listed that students are given double al80's of steel 104's for the cave training. The instructor also highly recomends that students who wish to buy a wing for trining or supply one they already own have one below 50lbs lift. He would teach me no matter what I bring I am sure and I would prefer to just use his free during the class but I intend to do several other dives post training down there that month and always prefer my own equipment.

I own OMS gear, I know many people who dive OMS gear and I like OMS gear. I intend to modify my wings like I did my 32lb wing and I know the modifications will work on the other OMS wings. So that is why I wanted OMS, and as it sounds I will be getting the 45lb Larry Green wing for double al80's and next summer the 60lb Larry green or the standard wing for my more technical diving or dives where I have stages and such.

I know everyone now-a-days hates bungees and I dont plan on getting them. Just wanted to make that clear.

Oh and I dont plan on doing much cave diving in the future nor do I plan to go to florida in the next few years (or hopefully ever) so we dont need to fight over that issue. Cave training is regarded as some of the best training a diver can get and I have seen 2 fellow divers who took this same course and there are the best divers I have personally dove with to this point in my life. I'm not doing it for the card or so I can cave dive every day I am doing it to be the best diver I can. Simple

A used 40-45 lb wing from just about any company will serve you well and not be a big investment in something that you are not intending to continue with that much. $350-400 for a wing to use just for this trip is a waste, although if you bought the Oxycheq I'd take it off your hands afterwards for a song, lol.

Have fun in class :)

students are given double al80's of steel 104's [/quote

Since they don't make AL80's out of "steel 104's":D I'd guess that your cave guy is offering two options- double AL80's or LP104's.

Pick up the phone and call your cave guy.

Oh and I dont plan on doing much cave diving in the future nor do I plan to go to florida in the next few years (or hopefully ever) so we dont need to fight over that issue. Cave training is regarded as some of the best training a diver can get and I have seen 2 fellow divers who took this same course and there are the best divers I have personally dove with to this point in my life. I'm not doing it for the card or so I can cave dive every day I am doing it to be the best diver I can. Simple

Hooray just what the world needs, another diver with a cave card who does not care about caves or cave diving.

Hooray just what the world needs, another diver with a cave card who does not care about caves or cave diving.

Cave diving training is the best there is, but training doesn't make the diver. Cave diving does. You're not going to perfect any of the skills that make a cave diver a good diver in a class or get any of the experience. Having the card doesn't make somebody a cave diver.

On the original topic, the Agir 38 wing is awesome if it's enough lift for your scenario. I just switched from one to a Dive Rite Classic because my Agir couldn't float me with two full stages and it was borderline for single stages when diving dry even. Great wing, just not enough lift for a lot of the dives I do.

Pooey. Don't try and cheat by getting one (mis-sized) wing for everything. If you need 55-60lbs for doubles at home get one of those. But don't try to manage that big bag with a 5mm wetsuit and AL80s in MX, get a smaller (used if need be) 40-45lb wing for your MX diving. 50+lbs is too big for MX and I can understand why an instructor would steer students away from glad bags that size and larger.

I tried a Halcyon Evolve 60# in MX with double-Al80s and it tended to taco the tanks and trap air which was extremely annoying (a function of the size of the wing). I would not use that setup in a class when you've got enough other stressors going on...

If your instructor is that set against a wing with over 50lb lift, then maybe you need a different instructor. What are his reasons for this requirement?

What kind of diving are you going to do in the future? I bought a wing with 70lb lift for doubles and it came in good use. At the time it was the only dual bladder wing that Oxycheq made (I dive wet half the year). And I do stage dives, so the extra lift was needed.

Also, if your instructor is going to put you in steel 104s, then the 50lb wing won't be enough lift. I could barely stay on the surface in 104s in Mexico with a 70lb wing and a wetsuit. In fact, when I jumped in the water at Ponderosa, my knees hit the bottom 15' under the surface. I had to kick to the surface and keep kicking just to keep my head above the surface.

As for what wing to buy, I haven't found anything better than the Oxycheq wings. They are the most streamlined, best designed and best built wings. You can't go wrong with them. I dove my 70lb wings in doubles 80s and it did just fine. No problems venting or controlling my buoyancy. And they came in real handy with the 104s!!!

BTW, I dove 104s and 98s in Mexico. Steel doubles are available. You just need to know where to find them. Also, not all cave divers to end up in Florida. I know a lot of cave divers who have never been to Florida. But I also know they're missing a lot by not visiting Florida at least once.

Oh, and NWD, don't think your cave diving will end after your training. I had the same attitude as you when I first took my cavern course. Now I live 10 minutes from one of my favorite caves and cave dive several times a week. The bug has a powerful bite!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom