Wing nuts or lock nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like it since a little helium added to the argon produces much hotter welds!

Since we have solved the loose nuts problem, perhaps a new thread should be started on heat shielding the wing. Maybe outer shells could be made from recycled asbestos.
This is for the reentry from orbit? :popcorn:

Make sure before use, each weld is Inspected via X-ray to

ISO 10675-1:2016
Non-destructive testing of welds -- Acceptance levels for radiographic testing -- Part 1: Steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys

ISO 10675-2:2017
Non-destructive testing of welds -- Acceptance levels for radiographic testing -- Part 2: Aluminium and its alloys

Ideally some samples should be put forward for the following:

ISO 4136:2012
Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials -- Transverse tensile test

ISO 5173:2009
Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials -- Bend tests

Make sure before use, each weld is Inspected via X-ray to

ISO 10675-1:2016
Non-destructive testing of welds -- Acceptance levels for radiographic testing -- Part 1: Steel, nickel, titanium and their alloys

ISO 10675-2:2017
Non-destructive testing of welds -- Acceptance levels for radiographic testing -- Part 2: Aluminium and its alloys

Ideally some samples should be put forward for the following:

ISO 4136:2012
Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials -- Transverse tensile test

ISO 5173:2009
Destructive tests on welds in metallic materials -- Bend tests
You want the ISO standard or the DO equivalent? :poke:

Geez, fellas, if you want to be sure, ya gotta double-nut 'em, tighten 'em up 'til they just start to strip, go back a quarter turn, and then *weld* 'em. Everything *else* is just taking a chance. Isn't it? Here, hold my beer while I show ya...

For backmounted doubles anything more than flat washers and wingnuts is just silly. They don't come loose (as in "off"), as long as they were well-snugged before the dive. They might be less than finger tight; but seriously, folks, nothing is going to make the things rotate seven or more times to come off while you're diving. Not even one of them, much less both of them.
For me, the addition of the loctite was an easy bit of peace of mind. That way, I don't have to remember to tighten the things before every dive. It was a simple and semi-permanent solution. Was I worried the thing would fall off completely? No, not really. But why do things the hard way when a simple solution is so easy/cheap (free in my case since I already had some loctite).

I shocked that I'm still alive. I have been using delrin nuts hand tightened for almost ten years and not had a problem yet. What am I doing wrong?

I shocked that I'm still alive. I have been using delrin nuts hand tightened for almost ten years and not had a problem yet. What am I doing wrong?

You're obviously barking up the wrong tree. You'll never be able to die from Delrin Nuts at that rate. Do you want to live forever...it seems rather gruesome....like the never-ending storys of scuba-nuts.

Last edited:
Things I learned from this thread....

There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

A lot of folks seem to really enjoy talking about nutts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom