Wing size question and DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's because I was being very generic. When I mentioned exposure suit and weight, I am covering weight intergrated (i.e. weighted STAs, backplate weight, tank) into the rig as well.

The rig still needs to float when the diver isn't in it. Some exits may require you to get out of the rig and then pull it out of the water.

The poster is obviously looking at a single tank wing and not a lot of extras. Without knowing their exposure protecting and weighting up front, I couldn't make a guess. That's why I didn't.

ScubaDadMiami:
Dan, you don't mention your potential tanks and some other key factors. Without that information, it is too hard to make the call.

You only need enough lift to do the job for the activity you will be doing in the equipment you will be using (plus consider emergencies). You want to make sure that you do not get wings so big that they wrap around a single tank. Consider whether you will be diving wet or dry, single or doubles (which you most likely won't be at this poing in your career), etc.

I just went on a trip in the Bahamas where I dove wet (3mm on the arms and legs, 5mm on the body and 5 mm hood) with a single aluminum tank, a steel backplate with steel single tank adapter, canister light, and four pounds of lead in my belt. The Pioneer 27 worked just fine for me.

Normally, I dive double steel 120s, TLS 350 dry suit, aluminum backplate and six pounds of lead added to my bottom bolt between my tanks. For that, I go with an Eclipse 55.

It all depends. Maybe this will help. http://www.divetekadventures.com/Technical_WingSizing.htm

If the comparison is of any help, I dive the OxyCheq 30lb Signature wing. The 45lb wing is a larger beast - the comments about the 30 & 45 being similar in size/drag etc apply to the original Standard wings, which are a different bladderless design.

FWIW I'm able to float my rig with 18lb of integrated lead (4 x XS-Scuba pockets), 5lb backplate, 1lb STA, 12L/100cf Faber steel tank (about half empty), and a 10W canister light, in salt water. Haven't tried it in fresh. It's not riding high on the surface, but the point is it floats. I dive with a 7mm semidry, so you've got even more buoyancy on the surface - same goes for the drysuit, even with minimal gas in the suit you've got surface buoyancy from the suit. The 30lb should be fine.

The only reason I would look at a 45lb wing is if you're planning diving with a really negative tank, ie around the -8lb/-10lb mark, and you want to be able to float the rig while using similar integrated weights. If you're using a weightbelt, it's a no-brainer - the 30lb will float any tank fine, except some of those larger-sized behemoth Heiser tanks that have no place in the water.

But shouldn't the diver reduce their integrated weight with this more negative steel tank? If they don't, they will likely be overweighted.

I wouldn't put all the ditchable weight on a belt. That's a disaster waiting to happen. You should be be able to ditch close to the weight of the gas in the tank(s). It could be in the form of a wb oe light or....whatever else you can get rid of that you don't need.

Scubaroo:
The only reason I would look at a 45lb wing is if you're planning diving with a really negative tank, ie around the -8lb/-10lb mark, and you want to be able to float the rig while using similar integrated weights. If you're using a weightbelt, it's a no-brainer - the 30lb will float any tank fine, except some of those larger-sized behemoth Heiser tanks that have no place in the water.

Scubaroo:
If the comparison is of any help, I dive the OxyCheq 30lb Signature wing. The 45lb wing is a larger beast - the comments about the 30 & 45 being similar in size/drag etc apply to the original Standard wings, which are a different bladderless design.

I thought the only real difference between the SS and standard wings were the removable inner bladder and slightly more rugged construction. Is there a difference in shape/functionality too?

WQFTruckster:
I thought the only real difference between the SS and standard wings were the removable inner bladder and slightly more rugged construction. Is there a difference in shape/functionality too?
The 45lb Standard wing has expandable gussets that "grow" around the tank as the wing is inflated. Kind of like a bellows design. The 45lb Signature wing is just a scaled-up 30lb Signature wing. The 18lb Standard and 45lb Standard are the only wings in the OxyCheq range with this gusset feature.

Otherwise, the differences are as you thought - the Signature wings have replaceable heavy-duty inner bladder and heavy duty outer shell. Theoretically they are not as streamlined as the Standard wings when deflated as a result, but in reality it's not noticeable (I have dived both).

Scubaroo:
The 45lb Standard wing has expandable gussets that "grow" around the tank as the wing is inflated. Kind of like a bellows design. The 45lb Signature wing is just a scaled-up 30lb Signature wing. The 18lb Standard and 45lb Standard are the only wings in the OxyCheq range with this gusset feature.

Ahh, I was thinking that all Oxycheq wings had this "gusset" feature. Thank you for clearing this up for me. Well, I guess I am now leaning more towards the 30# SS then. From what I can tell I think it will be adequate for my immediate needs. By the time I need something more I will probably be looking at getting another wing anyways.

Because if you have to ditch weight, you only ditch what you need to. Think back to when you used to see 30 lb belts in OW class. Lose a belt that has all your ditchable weight and you may become a missle. That example is an exagerated, but you should get the point. If properly weighted and using the correct undergarments (i.e thinsulate that doesn't compress or lose all buoyancy when a drysuit floods), you should only have to have ditchable weight equal to the weight of the gas in the tanks. For a single tank diver wearing an AL80, that should only amount to about 6 lbs being ditchable.

WQFTruckster:
Why do you say this? I thought that was the point in wearing a weight belt--to hold your ditchable weight...?

The halcyon pioneer 36# and 45# are the same profile with the gusseted sides. The 45 just expands more if you need the lift. Why wouldn't I just get the 45 instead of the 36, especially when I'm diving a lp steel tank in fresh water, and I normally sink like a stone(for some reason I'm very negatively buoyant, in my ow I could barely stay on the surface with a full breath.) Any disadvantages tothe 45?? especially with the same profile on the wing??

All help appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom