Wings and harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waz555

Reaction score
Hello!

im currently reasearching dive right products but i dont know what is best for me , since i dont know much people using this product.

any help would be great

what are the differences of these wings and which would you suggest?
i weigh around 150 pounds and stand around 5'10 using around 10 in the weight belt

rec exp wing or travel exp wing? or maybe you can suggest another that is really good

how do we compute the lift needed?

and is transplate harness good ?

thanks alot,

this is a repost from the bcd thread, i was advise to post it here instead, thanks alot :D

Dont think I can answer all your questions but let me offer, I dive the Rec wing on a Transplate set up with the Delux harness. I do no tech diving and I dont hang several deco bottles off me so the Delux harness works fine for me. It is easily adjustable and very comfortable.

The Rec wing has a lot of lift and is "suppose" to be able to do both singles and doubles. Thus far I have only used it with singles and it has worked for me. I am a big guy coming in at an average of 250, stocky, barrel chested and so negative bouyant a rock will float before me.

I doubt you would need the Rec wing. The travel wing would probably be fine for you.

You will find many on here that will talk gloom and doom over the Delux harness and the bungees on the Rec wing. I guess it depends, as I said earlier, on the type of diving you are doing. Mine is totally recreational in nature.

The good news to me is, if you go the Delux harness first, the webbing to convert to a Hog rig isnt that much money. So if you go tech, what the heck!

Hope that helps just a little.

rich

Hi waz,

Thanks for posting. You are asking a common question and one that has a variety of answers. Given your body stature, I would suggest a Travel EXP wing for warm water, recreational, single-tank diving. The Travel EXP will give you an even volume of inflation and help you trim out nicely in the water.

I wouldn't recommend the Rec Wing or the Rec EXP Wing unless you are thinking of diving double tanks and want to use the same wing for single tank diving OR unless you are really tall and need a long wing to give you lift at the hips.

Choice of harness is completely personal. The TransPac will be the most comfortable and can be used in the future if you ever decide to dive a rebreather, sidemount or other forms of tech diving. A metal backplate can be useful when trying to add weight to your rig without using weight pockets (or minimizing weight in the pockets). A steel backplate is typically 6lbs. An aluminum backplate is used for divers who dive steel tanks and don't want to add more weight.

You may find it helpful to peruse our online Solution Finder for more detailed answers. Look under the BCDs and Harnesses category for customized information on wings, harnesses and the like.

PS: Don't forget the crotch strap! Many recreational divers believe they don't need this and they're WRONG! You can always tell because their tank and gear moves on them in the water. The crotch strap is necessary for keeping your rig streamlined and moving with your body, rather than away from your body.

I hope this helps.
Kathleen

Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting and we're glad to see that you like your Rec Wing. Sounds like for your body stature, you've got the right wing!

I read your post about the bungee being a potentially contentious feature on the Rec Wing and I wanted to post about that in hopes that you might help pass along this information the next time someone comments on your "bondage wing."

The cord on the Rec Wing is actually a Gusset Cord that we use to minimize the size of the outerbag, thereby reducing the lift of the wing. This allows the Rec Wing to be worn with double tanks with a loosened gusset cord and with single tanks with a tightened gusset cord. You'll notice that the gusset cord is positioned only on one side of the wing and therefore, does not restrict the movement of gas inside the wing.

A bondage wing or bungee wing actually has cord wrapped completely around the wing and when tightened, is used to streamline the wing specifically for wreck diving where sharp objects can puncture a floppy or bulging wing. This wing has its place and purpose and gets a bad wrap at times because gas can become trapped in the separate compartments that the bungee creates when tightened. Thus the knickname "bondage wing."

Sorry for the long explanation, but this is a common misnomer and I wanted to explain the difference because each wing and its cord has its own unique function.

Pass it on!

Thanks,
Kathleen

Hello!

thanks for your very informative input,

ok i will wait for the stocks to arrive in our local dealer. they dont have travel exp as of now

i would also ask if which particular wieght pouch should i buy ? i see 2 kinds of pouches in your website,(for the transpac ) can i use a weight belt temporarily ?

thanks alot :D

Hi,

A weight belt is perfectly fine for the short term. I would be tempted to go with the 16lb weight pockets...even though you are diving 20lbs right now, I bet like most of us, you can shave off a few pounds. Also, what type of BCD are you diving now? If you are used to a Jacket BCD, they tend to be pretty buoyant so that would be a stronger case for ditching a few pounds.

However, if you occasionally dive more weight, than go with the bigger pockets OR just add an extra 2 or 3 lb weight to your waist belt when you need extra weight.

Food for thought,
Kathleen

Hello!

thanks for your very informative input,

ok i will wait for the stocks to arrive in our local dealer. they dont have travel exp as of now

i would also ask if which particular wieght pouch should i buy ? i see 2 kinds of pouches in your website,(for the transpac ) can i use a weight belt temporarily ?

thanks alot :D

Hi Kathleen,

No problem on the explanation. Have a good one.

I use both the transplate and the transpac. I have just started to use the transplate for traveling; it's much easier to pack. You may want the extra padding in the transplate harness, as apposed to the deluxe harness, for long walks on shore dives. I also use it when diving doubles in the northeast.

I use the transpac when I do shore dives at home, there is to my knowledge nothing more comfortable in existence when carrying heavy singles and equipment on shore dives and/or self launched kayak dives.

I wish that diverite still had the lower lift travel wings 30lbs vs 40lbs or better yet a nice 20 pound rig but alas they do not. If you intend to travel or use mostly single tanks you are better off going with the travel wing. I would recommend a separate double wing if possible.

I use both the transplate and the transpac. I have just started to use the transplate for traveling; it's much easier to pack. You may want the extra padding in the transplate harness, as apposed to the deluxe harness, for long walks on shore dives. I also use it when diving doubles in the northeast.

I use the transpac when I do shore dives at home, there is to my knowledge nothing more comfortable in existence when carrying heavy singles and equipment on shore dives and/or self launched kayak dives.

I wish that diverite still had the lower lift travel wings 30lbs vs 40lbs or better yet a nice 20 pound rig but alas they do not. If you intend to travel or use mostly single tanks you are better off going with the travel wing. I would recommend a separate double wing if possible.

hiya longtail,

thanks for the post. just fyi, our Travel EXP has 27lbs of lift. We discontinued the 40lb Travel.

Best,
Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom