Woman drowns during training - Hidden Paradise Campground, Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am attaching the full Complaint for Damages and the responses from Bottoms Up Scuba Indy and Harvest Time (owner of Hidden Paradise).

Also Bottoms Up Scuba LLC was dismissed from the case but Bottoms Up Scuba Indy LLC remains a defendant.

Attachments

• Complaint for Damages.pdf.pdf
    350.2 KB · Views: 546
  • Bottoms Up Scuba Indy Answers and Defenses.pdf
    466.8 KB · Views: 350
  • Harvest Time Answers and Defenses.pdf
    185.1 KB · Views: 238
The only question I have at this very early stage is this ... why is the instructor in question not listed as a defendant in the lawsuit? For those familiar with these type of cases, is that normal?

Can anyone explain the details in this brief description of the accident?

16. During the training process, and while in the water, Donna mentioned having difficulty descending in the water, at Which point Clay St. John negligently switched his buoyancy control device “BCD” and gave it to Donna so she could use his.

17. Due to Clay St. John’s negligence, Donna descended under the water and was unable to ascend causing her tragic drowning death.

I have never heard of an instructor switching BCDs with a student in order to solve a problem of the student being underweighted. I am having trouble understanding how that would cause her to descend and be unable to ascend.

A few years ago there was an incident in San Diego in which a DM on a boat jumped into the water to assist a diver struggling at the end of a dive. He removed the diver's BCD, possibly not realizing that the diver was wearing a weight belt and did not have a weight integrated BCD. Is this case similar?

Can anyone explain the details in this brief description of the accident?

I have never heard of an instructor switching BCDs with a student in order to solve a problem of the student being underweighted. I am having trouble understanding how that would cause her to descend and be unable to ascend.

A few years ago there was an incident in San Diego in which a DM on a boat jumped into the water to assist a diver struggling at the end of a dive. He removed the diver's BCD, possibly not realizing that the diver was wearing a weight belt and did not have a weight integrated BCD. Is this case similar?

The limited details listed in the complaint are all I've seen to date. I too have so many questions. Hoping to have more details revealed as the case progresses.

Perhaps others would be willing to share what they've heard. I've heard a few things third hand but don't care to share them because ... well they're third hand at best.

@JimBlay - saw this info today and that you were, like me, in the Indiana Scuba Divers FB group. That may be a good page to watch for future info, although I couldn't find any earlier discussion about the incident.

why is the instructor in question not listed as a defendant in the lawsuit?

That is interesting. I'm going into Perry Mason mode here, but the following could be the line of thinking of the opposing attorneys.

CLAIM by plaintiff
20. Defendant Bottoms Up is liable for the actions and negligence of the instructor, Clay St. John, under the doctrine of respondeat superior and pursuant to the agency relationship that existed as Mr. St. John was acting as their agent, servant or representative.

respondeat superior - The employer is charged with legal responsibility for the negligence of the employee because the employee is held to be an agent of the employer. If a negligent act is committed by an employee acting within the general scope of her or his employment, the employer will be held liable for damages.

* I'm guessing the key is that a negligent act has to be proved.

RESPONSE FROM Bottoms Up attorney
FOURTH DEFENSE: LACK OF RESPONDEAT SUPERIOR LIABILITY Plaintiffs' claims are barred, in whole, or in part, because BUSI cannot be held vicariously liable.

vicariously liable - Vicarious liability is a legal doctrine that assigns liability for an injury to a person who did not cause the injury but who has a particular legal relationship to the person who did act negligently. Ordinarily the independent negligence of one person is not imputable to another person.

* I may be interpreting incorrectly, but this seems to say that the instructor is the only one to be blamed and not BUSI.

Could speculate about why the plaintiff is going after the dive op and campground as opposed to the individual instructor, but will keep it to myself for now. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

...He removed the diver's BCD, possibly not realizing that the diver was wearing a weight belt and did not have a weight integrated BCD. Is this case similar?

That was my immediate thought as well. :(

It reads like there was something wrong with her gear, not just an inability to get down. Instructor gave her his BCD without adjusting the weighting (he's a big dude, she was a normal sized woman). Leading to drastic overweighting, panic, and this poor woman drowning while her family watched from shore.

It reads like there was something wrong with her gear, not just an inability to get down. Instructor gave her his BCD without adjusting the weighting (he's a big dude, she was a normal sized woman). Leading to drastic overweighting, panic, and this poor woman drowning while her family watched from shore.

Did he try to change her BCD while in the water? That seems like it would send up a huge red flag in something I would not do. "Hey you are not sinking due to a defective BC, so go ahead and swap me in water...".. Nah lets go to shore and figure it out.

Perhaps her BC inflator was stuck on. The instructor figured he would just use it with the LP hose off and orally inflate.. so they switched BC's?

That is a complete guess on my part, but it was the first reason that popped into my head about why BC's would be switched.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom