Woman Says TSA Forced Piercings Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just want to know how HUGE this nipple-ring had to be to set off the alarm. :lotsalove: I have worn jewelry, lots of rings and necklaces through without a single blip. It just makes me think she had more in her bra than a little stud. :11:

Try actually reading the original story...

okay, I read it.

Hamlin was publicly humiliated and has "undergone an enormous amount of physical pain to have the nipple rings reinserted" because of scar tissue, Allred said.
duh. Thank you Ms Alred , how much are you charging for that little nugget?

People that think everybody they encounter traveling is going to be fair and know all the rules are in for a rude surprise if they travel much internationally. I wish they would start practicing with the little things here in America. I don't know about you all but I have heard about those cavity searches and I'd rather avoid it

2. TSA has no rules regarding piercings. It does have the following policy.

"Mr Baird said the TSA had no specific policy about body jewellery but if it was big enough to sound an alarm, the person wearing it would not be allowed to pass security until the alarm was investigated."
Seems the alarm could've been investigated without removal. In this case, a wanding and visual inspection seems like a more reasonable option.

I often travel with a friend who has a titanium knee. She sets off the alarm every time she passes through a security checkpoint.

Good thing she doesn't travel through Lubbock ... a metal knee would sure be painful to remove behind a screen in an airport ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

[c]
[/c]

0ecca14471439.gif

Hm, exploring, blue goves ... DIR?

Good thing she doesn't travel through Lubbock ... a metal knee would sure be painful to remove behind a screen in an airport ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob - I almost spit my Coke all of the keyboard when I read this.

I bought good argentinean wines in Airport of Buenos Aires, but in transit in airport of Madrid, my wines are confiscated. I was not glad.

Originally Posted by Rickg

Sorry Don but I have no sympathy for her. It drives me crazy in this post 9-11 era that people don't familiarize themselves with TSA rules before they fly. No body forced her to remove her piercings. She had the option to not fly.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life.

:popcorn:

But since I believe in personal freedom, a right that sets America apart from other third world crapholes, you're allowed to voice the drivel.

IMHO this incident was a sexually motivated assault on an innocent traveler.

Good day.

Hope you feel better now having got that off your chest.

DB:
This is from the TSA website ... TSA: TSA Travel Assistant - Dress The Part
Hidden items such as body piercings may result in your being directed to additional screening for a pat-down inspection. If selected for additional screening, you may ask to remove your body piercing in private as an alternative to the pat-down search.
Rickg:
1. Familiarize themselves with TSA rules?? Yes, is it too much to ask??? I've been stuck behind too many clueless people when I've been traveling and all it does is slow down the process for the rest of us that have taken the time to prepare for the the "TSA gauntlet".

... not applicable when TSA does something different than is stated on their own site
Rickg:
2. TSA has no rules regarding piercings. It does have the following policy.

"Mr Baird said the TSA had no specific policy about body jewellery but if it was big enough to sound an alarm, the person wearing it would not be allowed to pass security until the alarm was investigated."

... Yep, to investigate is not the issue here .. they have a policy and they didn't follow it ... see first quote of the TSA guidlines above
Rickg:
3. No one at TSA will force anyone to board a plane.

... True, but its not a viable alternative is it?
Rickg:
4. I'm glad you take care of your piercings. That doesn't seem to be the case for Ms Hamlin.

?

I feel better now too

Originally Posted by DB
This is from the TSA website ... TSA: TSA Travel Assistant - Dress The Part
Quote:
Hidden items such as body piercings may result in your being directed to additional screening for a pat-down inspection. If selected for additional screening, you may ask to remove your body piercing in private as an alternative to the pat-down search.
Unquote:

I'm at a loss at what you are trying to say?

TSA's policy (that you yourself quoted) at the time of the incident provided the option to remove body piercings in private. The individual in question elected the "remove body piercing in private" option. Seems pretty clear to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom