Wondering about the old Farmer Johns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have yet to try a skin-in suit, but isn't this equally true of them when using talc/cornstarch? I thought this is why some resort to soapy water instead. I do understand a skin-in suit dries much faster than a nylon lined one though.

You know what they say- "Once you go skin-in, you'll never go back!" :wink:

You know what they say- "Once you go skin-in, you'll never go back!" :wink:

I'm not 100% sure what that means:confused:, but I think I get the general gist of it.:eyebrow:

Last edited:
I tried today, it was great but I had a hell of a time trying to zip it up it just wouldn't go, so I had to zip up the bottom and step through it and wrestle it on:rofl3:

Try beeswax on the zipper. My first upgrade was to a Parkway Sharkskin with an actual zipper, and my Mom just gave me an old candle to throw in the dive box. When I used that up, I bought a stick of zipper lube that was made of- wait for it- beeswax.

Last year I bought brand new Henderson super stretch farmer john pants.
I don’t think the farmer john bottoms are vintage but the jacket with the beavertail is.
The top that goes with the bottoms I bought has long sleeves and shorts. Interesting design. I don’t see beavertail tops new anywhere.

Cressi-Sub has a couple of 'em- Tecnica and the Competition 2. Mares has a new suit called the "Dual" with a post-modernistic looking beavertail.

Beavertail jackets really were way easier to put on than shorties. I do like my new one- piece wetsuit, though. . . that 5 mm seems warmer than any of the 1/4 inch + 1/4 inch farmer johns I have. Probably the closed seams, the wrist, neck and ankle seals, and the big seal over the back zip that keep that cold water out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom