Worst trend in Scuba Diving instruction many of us have ever seen...Avoid Groupon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instructors who think you MUST have 'x' time in pool with them to be proficient need to remember people have different learning curves. Also, some students have different backgrounds and may not need as much time. I was one because the time I took my 3rd try at a C-Card (First equipment malfunction and a instructor I would NOT go back to, 2nd was medical - tearing muscle off the calf) I already had almost 20 hrs of prior pool time in skills training. This doesn't mean I say give a person a pass, but use judgement, if a student is picking up stuff fast and is CLEARLY demonstrating skill/competency you are just wasting student time and yours. If you feel your not giving the student their moneys worth who said you couldn't offer the student a few extra OW dives to nail skills in OW instead?

I have dove the pool, N. Atlantic Ocean, River, Springs, and Fl. Keys and can say all of them were different. The biggest thing was distractions around me, I had to deal with current, wares, temps etc.

flots -- there is a lot of truth to what you are saying. "Mastery" takes time and repetitions -- one of the reasons I really like the program my LDS has set up for its basic PADI OW class -- six 90m minute pool sessions spread over three weeks.

By the sixth session, the students are doing the basic skills in a "fluid, comfortable and reasonable manner" while in the water column. Have the honestly "mastered" every skill (such as free flow breathing?) -- honestly, probably not. But the basic skills, mask clears, air shares, hovering -- generally yes, they are able to do so in a "fluid, comfortable and reasonable manner." Good, bad or indifferent, that is what I'm seeking.

A look at Groupon's stock price history may shed some light on their success.

...Do you know of standards for an agency that does require a certain amount of pool time or were you just trying to get a dig in at PADI even if everyone else's standards are the same on this point?

I base my OW training program on both performance and training hours. I believe that this is of benefit to the Student in-that s/he is aware of the commitment required from both of us and the agreement isn't solely based on such an intangible term as "Mastery."

You can learn something in a short period of time, but it takes repetition to enforce what you've learned. Once a skill is has been enforced, you can increase task loading (increasing anxiety); this can increase the depth of what has been learned and build confidence. I attempt to expand and strengthen the foundation of skills in this way. At the least, this results in a Student who has more time to become familiar with the underwater environment before the OW dives. There have been many comments that I've seen on SB (from students and Instructors) wishing that they could have more time. This is especially true for a weaker student. If some of the weak certified divers I've seen over the past 20 years are any indication, requiring more training time would be beneficial.

Looking at the industry, I believe that reverting back to this method would be positive. This was how diving instruction was required to be done by many Agencies until the 90's. Before this time, it was obvious (when looking at the various training Agencies) the actual differences in depth and breadth of the various programs offered (they reflected the minimum course hours required for any particular certification). Once the 'time factor' was removed, it allowed the Dive Shops to exert pressure on Instructors, by cutting back pool time to maximize profits.

SEI requires 16 hours in the pool by standards. We can do 12 IF we add the additional four hours to the OW checkout dives in addition to the dives. Ie we can practice the rescue skills - panicked diver, unconscious diver from depth, tow while stripping gear, and supporting a diver at the surface before the OW dives for skill evaluation are conducted. BUT this is not advised. It is preferred that all 16 hours be done in the pool as their are poolside lectures that accompany them.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Here in NY I paid for full price at my LDS and my cousin took the groupon and it was the same class. He was my dive buddy for the entire course so he learned everything I learned. It seems to be certain places have this problem

Here in NY I paid for full price at my LDS and my cousin took the groupon and it was the same class. He was my dive buddy for the entire course so he learned everything I learned. It seems to be certain places have this problem

I think some people see groupon = bad and wont change it. I've had a horrible NAUI instructor before Groupon was even a thought, but somehow to these people that class is better than a groupon class like your cousin took. As was hammered out, groupon doesn't do the training, it is the Instructor. Groupon is not turning out bad divers, it is the instructor who is.

Groupon is just bringing more divers. I had always wanted to do scuba but had trouble justifying the ow training cost on top of equipment. The price on groupon was just to good to pass up.

I've been more in love with the sport than i ever could have imagined. I had what I feel was a very good instructor. He was old school ex military and everything had to be perfect. He was patient with the few that were struggling. The pool day went on for what felt like forever. My ears give me problems so i had to skip the day after the pool and he worked with me at no extra charge, which he didn't have to do to make up the day with another class.

I've spent a lot of money and have all my gear except tanks. I'm doing my first night dive tomorrow and aow this weekend with the same shop. I have a different instructor for aow and he asked who my ow instructor was and he was glad to hear who it was.

Imho the tone of this thread started from an elitist snob pov. See you trolls under the bridge.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2013 at 07:14 AM ----------

Btw my non groupon aow will be at the bridge Saturday, I'll try not to mess up your visibility.

Last edited:
Apparently half-off coupons don't build customer loyalty and Groupon is almost broke. The only people who made out well were several rounds of Groupon execs.

Everybody else including the dealers and investors got boned.

Don't Cry For Groupon's Andrew Mason - Forbes

Too phunny! The best line from the article:
The new scheme to offer discounted merchandise follows a similar business model as the coupon business: it generates revenues but no profits.
​ I just don't get how people think this is going to work? TANSTAAFL! There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch! If I can't sell, I'm gonna keep sittin' on it!

Never Catch me Giving it Away!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom