Would anyone be interested in a DIY spring strap kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put mine together Saturday morning. It took about an hour to get them together and adjust the size. I wear a size 9 shoe so I had to remove four coils from each strap and make loops with coils #5 & #6.
I carried them to Panama City Beach Saturday afternoon for a Sunday morning (7am) trip with Hydrospace. Dive conditions were NOT good (Thanks Isadore!). Trip report to follow. BUT, the straps performed flawlessly.
I was also able to meet Rick Murchison this trip. His group was getting on the boat we were exiting. I look forward to diving with him sometime.
Attached is a picture of my fins with their new spring straps.

fins.jpg

Jarhead

ScubaKims, et al,

There's a few people asking for the kits that missed out the first time - I might do a second batch after this first lot is finished - I'm still in the process of collecting money for those and mailing them out. I'm still a little out of pocket at the moment, so I'll wait until this round is finished before fronting more cash to buy more springs. I had to outlay about $270 for this lot of kits and I haven't recouped it all yet, plus I underestimated the some of the cost of postage (bloody USPS didn't have any Priority Mail boxes in stock so I had to buy some packaging materials for some folk, ended up costing me more money to send them to people), so it will be a little whiles yet. This was a not for profit exercise, and it's taken up a far amount of time and effort to chase up the right sized materials, cut everything to length, box everything up, stand in line at the post office, etc etc.

Ben

Ben,

For the price you're selling them for I wouldn't mind if you tacked on some $$ for your troubles - its still a great deal. Perhaps another thread would help in getting a head count on who's interested. How many do you need? Was it 18-20?

Paul

Sounds like you went through a lot of trouble for us ben and i appreciate.If it helps i suggest all of us that received springs get together and kick in some money to help make up bens loss and all the time and effort he spent doing this.Those of you that agree let me know and we will decide how much we need to send to help pay for his losses and time.

This is just an idea.But the rest of you that want springs.Maybe have one person do like ben did and order enough to cover everybody.Im sure ben would give the info needed to buy the parts and that would help him out by not having to fork out more money and waiting in line at the post office.Scubakims also had a great idea to charge a little more to help pay for time and effort and any possible losses.Even if someone paid 25-28 a set its still way cheaper than buying them from a dive store.

I just got mine the other day, and added them to the kit for later. My fins already have the ones I made, but I'm looking forward to springs on future fins without the shopping trip!

lal7176 once bubbled...
If it helps i suggest all of us that received springs get together and kick in some money to help make up bens loss and all the time and effort he spent doing this.
Thanks, but that's not necessary. I was talking about an amount like $10 in total. My set still worked out cheaper than buying commercial ones :)

Waiting at the post office is the frustrating part!

If I do a second round, I'll probably tack a few extra dollars on top to cover the farting-around I had to go through. I certainly don't need to do this exercise to make money, but just to help out other ScubaBoarders.

Sounds like there is enough interest to do a second round, but it will be a couple of weeks before I order the parts. In the meantime, start adding your names to this thread.

Ben

Okay, Round Two.

[list moved to another post later in thread]

Having been through this exercise once, the revised prices are:

1 pair - $24 shipped priority mail
2 pairs $44 shipped priority mail
3 pairs - $64 shipped priority mail (still less than the cost of ONE pair of Halcyon springs!

That's about $3 a kit over cost to cover my time and effort.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom