would like input on computers that do He?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver7

New
Reaction score
I am in a IANTD nitrox class now with the goal (after much training and exprience) moving on to trimix.

Any suggestions on the best computer out there that would take me through these stages.

Personally I use a Intel P4 2.4ghz+1024ram, does everything I need to and some. If you are looking for a bottom timer, that is a whole differnt ball game, since it's not quite waterproof.

I understand that diverite makes a dive computer that accounts for helium. Are there any tech divers using this.

1st you'll need 2 to have redundancy.If you use it as a back-up to a pre-cut table it would have to either be in guage mode or use the same algorithm as the pre-cut tables.That would make it a very expensive BT.Most mix divers I know personally use 2 bottom timers and pre-cut tables.Try www.trimix.com www.deeperstuff.com www.decostop.com

i use the He from dive rite and it works superbly. Never yet had to go to tables in water. It is costly but a great computer. Allows for 7 different mixes to be switched to underwater. Very easy to use, big numbers, pc capabilities, awesome... J.D.

jaydee197:
i use the He from dive rite and it works superbly. Never yet had to go to tables in water. It is costly but a great computer. Allows for 7 different mixes to be switched to underwater. Very easy to use, big numbers, pc capabilities, awesome... J.D.

Thank's for your input. I am in the market for a nitox computer and found the He. If it will work for trimix, I would rather spend the extra money now.

100days-a-year:
1st you'll need 2 to have redundancy.If you use it as a back-up to a pre-cut table it would have to either be in guage mode or use the same algorithm as the pre-cut tables.That would make it a very expensive BT.Most mix divers I know personally use 2 bottom timers and pre-cut tables.Try www.trimix.com www.deeperstuff.com www.decostop.com
Tony,

Two out of your 3 links aren't even sites... yet.

I do agree though that you don't need a trimix computer other than deco software on a palm or PC. Buy a BT or just stick a Nitrox computer.

diver7, the He does nitrox trimix heliox and O2. The bottom timer will cost a bit less money but i think the he is worth the bucks. I do use a bottom timer/depth gauge for a backup along with tables but love the He.

So there are 2 significant possibilities that you can't now account for:

1) There will likely be more and better better computers by the time you may *decide you can use one wisely* .... so it's foolish to spend that much money now

2) Once you get that far in your training, you'll know enough to realize that a computer may, or may not, enhance your dives, based on your typical profiles ... You may like many, conclude that you don't need one after all.

If you just have lots of $$$$ to spend frivilously, Then the Explorer and VR3 are the computers of choice (for those who use comps in mix diving)

Put that $1300 plus into training first.

Darlene

Use the search feature for "tech computers" there have been numerous threads and lots of discusion in that regard.

Scuba_Vixen:
So there are 2 significant possibilities that you can't now account for:

1) There will likely be more and better better computers by the time you may *decide you can use one wisely* .... so it's foolish to spend that much money now

2) Once you get that far in your training, you'll know enough to realize that a computer may, or may not, enhance your dives, based on your typical profiles ... You may like many, conclude that you don't need one after all.

If you just have lots of $$$$ to spend frivilously, Then the Explorer and VR3 are the computers of choice (for those who use comps in mix diving)

Put that $1300 plus into training first.

Darlene

Use the search feature for "tech computers" there have been numerous threads and lots of discusion in that regard.
Darlene,

I couldn't agree more,the Explorer and VR3 are the computers of choice (as of now)..

DIVER7,
The nitek He has too many limiting factors and no room to grow. I like the Explorer over the Vr3 for several reasons, true RGBM or Buhlman, Very large reaDable display, and ease of programming. The VR3 has a bulletproof case, has its own flavor of micro bubble reduction, but the display is to hard to read for me (and still not as readable with BGM mode). The display on the nitek is even harder to read.

I have ownned the "new" VR3 since its introduction and was even diving it before OMS (previous NA distributor) even had any units, and have been an explorer usee also since its introduction, so I feel I am qualified to judge the units by now.. (before these two I basically used a nitek 3 in gauge mode for trimix dives, other than a software upgrade it seems like a nitek 3)

You can get in on a VR3 as a nitox unit and upgrade it (by pins) as you need grows. The explorer only comes in 2 models (oxygen cell capable and Not), Any type of diving you ever would want to do you can.. whether it be basic open circuit to fuilly integrated measurement on a CCR.

Cochran is releasing a He computer (may even be available by now), Its new alg creates some great profiles and definately has one of the easiest readable displays out there.. Judging by the demo units at ZeroG this year. The computer is going to be a winner.. (has a few shortcommings, but hopefully they took our suggestions)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom