would like input on computers that do He?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Vixen:
So there are 2 significant possibilities that you can't now account for:

1) There will likely be more and better better computers by the time you may *decide you can use one wisely* .... so it's foolish to spend that much money now

2) Once you get that far in your training, you'll know enough to realize that a computer may, or may not, enhance your dives, based on your typical profiles ... You may like many, conclude that you don't need one after all.

If you just have lots of $$$$ to spend frivilously, Then the Explorer and VR3 are the computers of choice (for those who use comps in mix diving)

Put that $1300 plus into training first.

Darlene

Use the search feature for "tech computers" there have been numerous threads and lots of discusion in that regard.

Thank you for your input. I just wanted to hear from experianced divers on my best options.

Scuba_Vixen:
,,,,If you just have lots of $$$$ to spend frivilously, Then the Explorer and VR3 are the computers of choice (for those who use comps in mix diving)

Put that $1300 plus into training first.

Darlene

The two computers that Scuba Vixen mentions are, in fact, expensive. They are also the absolute "top-of-the-line" when it comes to mixed-gas wet computers! Either of them will do literally any diving job you want them to do, from simple shallow air to deep mixed-gas, and even CCR work.

Darlene, I would hardly call them a "frivolous" choice, since they are serious tools for serious diving. In the case of mixed-gas CCR diving, NOT having either one of those units with the sensor link on it should be considered a NO-GO situation.

I would definitely agree, however, that the first place you should put your money is into good training!

To paraphrase Mr. Natural: "Get the right training for the job, kids, and don't leave home without it!"

BJD :anakinpod

diver7:
Thank's for your input. I am in the market for a nitox computer and found the He. If it will work for trimix, I would rather spend the extra money now.

When do you expect to start your trimix training? If it's not for a while you might be better off getting a simple nitrox computer now. You might find something different or change your mind in a year or two. Have you talked to your instructor? Does he/she an opinion regarding computers?

cornfed:
When do you expect to start you trimix training? If it's not for a while you might be better off getting a simple nitrox computer now. You might find something different or change your mind in a year or two. Have you talked to your instructor? Does he/she an opinion regarding computers?

Excellent point, Drew!

And by the way, I'll take the hook. What exactly IS a "Resident JAFR"?

:cwmddd:??? BJD :anakinpod

BigJetDriver69:
And by the way, I'll take the hook. What exactly IS a "Resident JAFR"?
A "JAFR" is "just another freaking rookie". Compared to the people who normally post on TDS I'm just a bit inexperienced. :wink:

Despite this I'm still a known entity there. In the end, "Resident JAFR" sounded a lot better than, "inexperienced peon rec diver who refused to shutup and go away". :D

They are in fact amazing instruments, considering what they can do under great presure. I found the Explorer to be a great dive enhancement tool. ..... OTH ... Some one in a Nitrox class spending that much money for one at that point in their training, is what I thought a frivolous expense that could be better spent on training and gaining experience.

diver7:

If you really want a computer now, that's cost effective, and that will grow with you and be usefull, if and when you get mix training ..... How about a wrist mount Suunto Vytec. It will give you 3 gasses to switch to (O2/N2 blends) great for nitrox diving and deco with up to 2 deco mixes, and a gage mode for when you learn mix and run from tables you'll learn to cut. ... And if you shop it well, you will find it for a good price with money left over to go dive on.

To me, that would be the most sensible choice,

Darlene

cornfed:
When do you expect to start your trimix training? If it's not for a while you might be better off getting a simple nitrox computer now. You might find something different or change your mind in a year or two. Have you talked to your instructor? Does he/she an opinion regarding computers?

I must completely agree with Drew/Cornfed.

You would be much better off getting yourself a sturdy nitrox computer right now. The Suunto Vyper runs around $500 and has a gauge mode that you could use in the future for trimix diving. The Suunto Cobra is a little bit more, but also offers you more flexibility in switching between nitrox mixes.

If you were to get a trimix computer in the future, you could wear it and your Suunto side by side as backup. The DiveRite runs around $1200 last time I checked. Curt Bowen's tech diving magazine Advanced Diver did a review of it recently, a few issues back. He highly recommends it, although I would be skeptical of a magazine publisher's opinion, because he might be afraid of hurting the manufacturer's feelings by saying what he really thought about it.

My tech diving course director showed me the DiveRite, and begged me to buy one. Maybe someday? I do not exactly trust these helium dive computers yet, and I do not want to comprise the data base of beta-tested divers.

Most helium dives are square profiles, certainly most of mine are. A wrist slate with multiple pages on it works just fine for me. I record planned depth and planned time, planned depth + 10 ft, planned time + 5 mins, and planned depth and time + 10 ft + 5 mins. That works just fine for me, diving shipwrecks. Maybe caves is different, I do not know.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom