• Yes, definitely

Votes: 149 64.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Always buy used and never buy new!!!

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying used tanks can be risky, however one must take into consideration the hydo /vis dates and the condition if the tanks. If the tank looks like it's been banged around and generally abused and happens to be out of hydo, I'll walk. I bought two Al 80's a couple of years ago that both needed a visual. The tanks were in perfect condition and passed. The cost? $100 for the tanks and $24 to Divers Supply in Tampa for the vis and air fill. Why would anyone buy a new Al tank? Too many good used ones out there that are cheap.:tree: Bob :tribute:

Originally posted by Ari
And what is ANFO?
Ari :)

Ammonium Nitrate and Fuel Oil (ANFO)
It's an easy to make medium yield commercial explosive. During the 1960s and 70s The USDA spent $millions$ teaching American farmers how to make and use it as an inexpensive alternative to heavy earth moving equipment. Generally it makes creating farm ponds in dry country and leveling ground for construction a snap. A few misguided folks have used it for high profile much less helpful purposes lately so it's fallen out of favor with the clueless urban liberals. It's still a great tool if used properly. It's stable enough a bulldozer can drive over it without kicking it off and takes high yield booster charge to initiate it. Blasting caps are commercially available in the US designed to provide both the initiator and the booster. Availability of THOSE is pretty strictly controlled.

Originally posted by Ari
So it seems like a good looking steel will be a best bet, especially if you still have some time to the next hydro. Will you hydro it right away or wait till the next scheduled test?

Ari :)

One that is out of hydro can usually be had for a lot le$$. Since you don't know the tank's history an immediate clean and hydro is in order before use anyway.

I don't have a picture of my tumbler at the present, but I need to get a digital camera to take pictures of the harness assembly process with my custom plate. When I do I'll grab a few of the tumbler.

FT

I have two Dacor super 80s (fattys) bought both used at 2 different dive shops across the river in Michigan. Paid $90 for one and $100 for the other, both came with recent hydro and vip saved about $240 from buying them at the lds:wink:

Out of curiousity I called an LDS, and was quoted $35 for a hydro. Called the first fire estinguisher place in the yellow pages, and got a quote for $15.

Gotta love this board - its saved my a ton of cash, as well as stopping me from making a lot of poor LDS recoomended decisions.

Darryl

OK, you can get the hydro from the Fire Extiguisher place for $15.00... but, you still need a vis and a fill. I bring my tanks in with the valves removed... the cost is $8.00 and then I do my own visual inspection. Actually, I do it BEFORE I spend the $8.00, but that is just a detail. You can expect to pay up to $15.00 for a visual and up to $7.50 for a fill. Add up all your costs, before going on what only seems to be the cheaper route. The real savings for me comes from me having 14 tanks that I have to vis every year... also from generally not trusting others with my safety. I took the PSI course ($250.00???) so I could do it correctly.

Ari,

To answer one of your questions, have you ever bought a tank and it was unusable check this thread

I would probably do it again. I just know more now than I did then.

Tom

I would buy used tanks today if they were what I wanted and the price was right. I wouldn't buy AL tanks just because I don't like them. For a steel tank I would just make sure the VIS and Hydro were current. If I were to buy a used AL tank I would double check the alloy that was used and I would verify the VIS and Hydro. I would not spend a lot on a used AL tanks since they are so cheap new.

Scott

A question to those that wouldn't - do you take your own tank on holiday (assuming foreign destination)?

I purchased a steel 72 and an aluminum 80 from a retired diver, both tanks were used and I have had them for approximately eight years. I also found a IDI Nekton on Ebay that was in great shape and the price was right.

I dive singles and both my tanks are used. They are alum 92's i got them for 100 bucks each then hydro and all that good stuff i think it came out to be a little less then 300 but i saved a good deal of money so. I have never had any trouble with them. And a tank is never to old as long as you take good care of it and keep all the testing up to date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom