Would you recommend the Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon 100?

Would you recommend the UK Light Cannon 100 to others?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kazinvan

Contributor
Reaction score
Would you recommend a UK Light Cannon 100 HID light to others? Personally, I like the light a lot. For the price, it can't be beat. I'm wondering what the general opinion of this light is. Posts in another thread slam the light, but I want to get an idea of the overall opinion.

Here is the light in question:
http://www.uwkinetics.com/D_LC100.htm

Here is a link to another post with both positive and negative reviews:
http://www.ScubaBoard.com/showthread.php?threadid=86243

I stopped recommending it to people shortly after I bought one. That bulb is simply far too fragile and expensive to replace. It's not economically practical to keep a spare bulb with your dive gear. This limitation precludes me from ever taking my Light Cannon on remote trips. If the bulb breaks, I'm screwed. And it's pretty easy to break the bulb... a drop from just a few feet can easily do it.

Field equipment-rated the Light Cannon is not.

I wouldn't recommend it for several reasons. It doesn't have the advantage of a tightly focused beam for signalling purposes but does have the HID disadvantage of being too bright for the sensitive eyes of marine creatures. I just my opinion of course.

I prefer a can light myself (patiently awaiting my flame thrower), but for what it is, and from what I've seen it is a decent light. The problems of a fragile HID bulb sounds more like a problem with HID lights in general rather than the LC in particular. But for $200 or less, if you want a decent dive light to do a night dive or two, it's not bad value.

Warren L and Kazinvan, I did not see anything here regarding a "budget". Only if the light could be recommended to others. Lets not dirty up the thread with debate from another. Realistically you are runnin at a 2 n 0 so far.

No offense Kazinvan..... I think it looks almost a bit "trollish" (?) to start a poll and then enter your vote. Are you looking for the input of others? Or just concerned about being right? :wink:

Warren L...... let us know how you like the new flame thrower (drool)!

BlueDolphin:
Warren L and Kazinvan, I did not see anything here regarding a "budget". Only if the light could be recommended to others. Lets not dirty up the thread with debate from another. Realistically you are runnin at a 2 n 0 so far.

No offense Kazinvan..... I think it looks almost a bit "trollish" (?) to start a poll and then enter your vote. Are you looking for the input of others? Or just concerned about being right? :wink:

The question was would I recommend it? Sure I would -- to those who do not wish to spend the $$ on a can light. I don't have one myself, but have dove with others who have. I guess the people I've dove with are not prone to dropping their lights from a few feet.

kazinvan:
Warren, if money was no object, I doubt I would be using an LC. However, given my budget it seems like the best light I can get for the money.

Exactly my point. Not that money is no object, I choose to allocate my funds accordingly.

BlueDolphin:

I agree, my only point to Warren was that it was obvious. Same as if I asked: Would you recommend a Volvo fo a friend, and their reply was "I would rather have a Ferrari". I think that is a given.

BlueDolphin:

I don't think it's trollish at all. I am looking for the input of others. Not to prove that you are wrong or I am right. I already own the light and your posts in the other thread made me think that many people had problems with this light. I want to validate (or invalidate) my own personal research prior to buying the light. Usually, people don't post their positive stories unless asked, you just hear about the problems and ranting.

BlueDolphin:

Indeed, do share.

I've been on a number of night dives with people who were using Light Cannons. About half of them actually made it into the water with a working light. The LCs produce a brighter and better colored light than my C8 eLED, but not vastly so. On the other hand, my light works every single time. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom