Would you recommend the Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon 100?

Would you recommend the UK Light Cannon 100 to others?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of the early light cannons. I considered it a piece of junk when I first got it. false strikes and no light. But after time I got accustomed to its quirks.

After a little while and some outside research, I started changing a few things. IF I got to a false strick condition, I just remove the bulb and insert 180° from original. This will cure most every false start condition I have seen. Another thing I found is when I turn the light on, it stays on for at least 5 minutes or longer. It really takes a while to get the bulb up to operating temperture. Cold shut downs make for bad start ups later.

After that, the light has been trouble free for the past couple of years. Turn it on before touching the water, leave it on the whole time.

With the above knowledge, and being an economical entry HID, yes it is good. It would get my recomendation, depending on what you are wanting to do with it.

It would depend on the diver asking about it. I think that in most cases, a C8 LED or canister light would be a better choice. The C8 LED for those divers who aren't as serious or simply don't have the budget, or a canister light for those who can afford it and are serious.

The Light Cannon would be nice for those who do lots of night dives and simply can't afford a canister light, I think. They should be as reliable as an HID can light if treated properly.

I'm just in the process of buying all of my gear, I can't justify the cost of a cannister light at this point when I don't even have my own BC, drysuit, etc. I would rather get a decent HID and put the extra money towards a new BC. Then, once I'm diving with all of my own gear, I can start to upgrade various parts of the kit. A cannister light would make a good upgrade to the LC, using the LC as a backup for example. It doesn't make sense for me to have a high end cannister light and a rental BC.

The UK C8 eLED is not a light for only those who are not "serious" divers. Yes you are cool because you have a cannister light.

I myself am a serious diver. I take it very serious. :)

Between you n me (ooops now everyone knows), I have more money than god right now, and I am still not going to spend it on a cannister light. Well, I might rethink that after hearing all of Warren's excitement about his new fish fryer!

the LED light is an inexpensive entry level light. Don't expect a lot of light out of it though. The Light cannon puts out a decent amount of light, but from lots of peoples experiences, bulbs go frequently and are expensive to replace. A lot of this could be due to cold shutoffs and firing agian right away as broncobowsher said.

I have a D8 that I'll be flogging soon once I can afford the canister light. I still wouldn't buy a light cannon though if I went back to square one.

It would appear that the only light for a diver (you know the serious one's) is a cannister light? Hmmmm.... that does not sound right.

There have been some very high praises blogged on the UK c8 eLED?

BlueDolphin:
It would appear that the only light for a diver (you know the serious one's) is a cannister light? Hmmmm.... that does not sound right.
Never used one have ya :)

BlueDolphin:
There have been some very high praises blogged on the UK c8 eLED?
Same brightness as the halogen, whiter light, twice the battery life, tougher bulb. What's not to like? :)

BlueDolphin:
I have more money than god right now, and I am still not going to spend it on a cannister light.
Then you have a least one penny (Luke 20:24-25.)
It'll take more than that but it is definitely worth it IMO...
Unless you can say," Let there be light!" with enough authority that light actually appears. :wink:

Lol... UP.

Hmmmmmmmm now you guys got me thinkin. What did Warren drop on his new light?
I think I saw around $1200. Sigh.... "defenitely worth it"..... you guys are relentless! :)

At the risk of going too off topic..... feel free to IM with a good entry level (or not so entry level) can light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom