Wound in the tropics ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, @scubajunky17 made do with the resources at hand, managed to maintain the perfect antimicrobial environment with table sugar, and the Chinese liniment actually worked. I've seen stranger things happen :wink:

That said, with a nod to @Outbound , this thread is a nice 15-page advertisement for including first aid equipment in the dive kit for the future.

Best regards,
DDM

Yes, definitely be prepared.
I will always have a full kit from now on for sure.

Au contraire. Chinese stuff could hurt others in the future. As could sugar. Nothing like really bad medical advice to spice up a thread.
Any evidence that the Chinese stuff could hurt? It is used my millions of people in south east Asia and surely if harmful concerns would be in the public domain!

I am a little concerned that it is being discounted by some on this thread because it is Chinese and if so that smells of xenophobia

Any evidence that the Chinese stuff could hurt? It is used my millions of people in south east Asia and surely if harmful concerns would be in the public domain!

I am a little concerned that it is being discounted by some on this thread because it is Chinese and if so that smells of xenophobia
Chinese stuff is amazing, all the surfers rave about it for cuts and scrapes.
What do the Chinese know though ? They only have a couple of thousand years of history against USA's three hundred years, their medicine couldn't possibly be any good.

Or, @scubajunky17 made do with the resources at hand, managed to maintain the perfect antimicrobial environment with table sugar, and the Chinese liniment actually worked. I've seen stranger things happen :wink:

That said, with a nod to @Outbound , this thread is a nice 15-page advertisement for including first aid equipment in the dive kit for the future.

Best regards,
DDM
As I keep saying the Chinese stuff has been used by surfers for reef cuts in Indo for decades and it work’s amazingly well.

It really would not be a surprise to any medical professional working in that area and is sold in pharmacies.

I cannot find any references online to any adverse reactions from using this medicine despite numerous searches bar 4 cases of mild dermatitis

Chinese stuff is amazing, all the surfers rave about it for cuts and scrapes.
What do the Chinese know though ? They only have a couple of thousand years of history against USA's three hundred years, their medicine couldn't possibly be any good.
Concur that there should not be any bashing of traditional herbal remedies without evidence. I've said the same thing as you... thousands of years of south and east Asians <edit: not to mention First People in the Americas!> can't be completely wrong. That said, one has to use caution with any herbal preparation, and quality control on them can vary widely.

Let's all re-focus on the original purpose of the thread, which is wound care while on a dive vacation.

Best regards,
DDM

It's not xenophobia. It's the fact that Chinese-made products are often adulterated. Anyone remember the dozens of Panamanians who died from using tainted Chinese toothpaste? Or the tainted milk and baby formula scandal? Or the wheat gluten cut with melamine? Or all of the counterfeit cosmetics containing lead, arsenic, beryllium, etc.?

Hello, I've taken up the task of cleaning up about half of the posts in the last 3 pages. Sorry it took so long -- a few of the mods are actively posting in this thread, so we had to wait for somebody with a fresh set of eyes come along and moderate it.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

If you would like to discuss "big pharma," maybe a thread in Thumbs Down or The Pub would be appropriate. If you would like to discuss covid-19, there is an entire Covid forum for that. If you would like to discuss the efficacy of traditional herbal medicine, that's totally OK here and on-topic, just please keep in mind that we have rules against bigotry: anti-Chinese xenophobic posts are not appropriate anywhere on ScubaBoard.

I am reopening the thread, and would be happy to see a fruitful discussion moving forward.

Thanks
Sound advice, sugar does have strong infection prevention, quite a bit written on it.
Jing seems to be doing the trick so far, seals it.
Thanks for taking the time. Appreciate everyone's input.
The doc from Duke Dive Medicine just suggested that you NOT use sugar. I'm sure he/she has the best advice versus myths on the internet.

The doc from Duke Dive Medicine just suggested that you NOT use sugar. I'm sure he/she has the best advice versus myths on the internet.
Here we go again, I was very grateful the doc gave me advice, also not my fault if people are not aware of the power of other treatments, plenty of evidence to support the use of sugar.
Also at the time all I had was sugar and betadine, nothing else at my disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom