Wound in the tropics ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with being censored, freedom of speech is very important, let the readers decide what they feel about what people say.
It was a good informative thread, degenerated by arrogance and mocking/ ridicule of some people's advice. The thread will prove helpful for other people in a similar situation.

Just to be clear, there is no expectation of freedom of speech on an internet message board. There are rules to post here, we are expected to follow them or we’ll be invited to not come back.

I’m glad that the available resources to you have appeared to help.

Often times what we try to do to help the body as medical professionals doesn’t really accomplish anything; people improve inspite of our interventions, not because of them.

In short, your wound likely would have improved all on its own with no intervention.

Any intervention does have the risk of causing more problems than they resolve. Some more than others.

There has been some research regarding the use of sugar and honey in healing wounds (specifically those that are infected) and there does appear to possibly be a benefit, although researchers agree that more investigation is needed.

Plenty more than that on the efficacy of sugar too.
People should be allowed to say what they think as long as they are not abusive or rude,
Anyway I hope this thread helps people as I'm sure it will.

Hi
I’d suggest cleaning out wound thoroughly with fresh water, try to make sure sure all sand/ debris is removed. Then apply small amount of antiseptic or antibiotic cream and cover with a clean dressing. Change dressing daily and keep wound dry.
If you choose to continue to dive clean it and dress as mentioned above daily.
Don’t use sugar or iodine. Iodine and alcohol damage skin tissue and delay healing and sugar is not practical for this- it has other uses but not for this.
If you are diabetic or have a compromised immune system be wary of infection.
Bottom line- you can normally continue diving with such wounds but salt water will remove the clots and delay the healing but if the water is “ clean” it should do a good job of cleaning out the wound.
There is always a risk of infection in tropical waters in the summer but these are primarily a risk for those who are immune compromised.
If you can get it checked locally do so, if not enjoy your dive time.
Doc

The water might look clean to you but it is not.
Generally, if it's clean enough to drink it shouldn't be a problem. Even better if you are using a purified bottled water. If you have concerns about the water, boil it, "and let it cool you don't want to blanch the wound (I would have left that unsaid, but it's 2023...))

Generally, if it's clean enough to drink it shouldn't be a problem. Even better if you are using a purified bottled water. If you have concerns about the water, boil it, "and let it cool you don't want to blanch the wound (I would have left that unsaid, but it's 2023...))
Can you please read what I replied too before posting. Doc Jai was talking about OCEAN water.

Bottom line- you can normally continue diving with such wounds but salt water will remove the clots and delay the healing but if the water is “ clean” it should do a good job of cleaning out the wound.

Haven't read the whole thread and am not going to get in to any discussions about traditional versus alternative medicine. I got a similar wound infection in Borneo about 25 years ago. I got sick, really sick, but had no idea. This was pre-medical school for me. Looking back, I definitely had sepsis, if not elements of septic shock. I got lucky and my body sorted itself out. Keep things in perspective, but take wounds of this nature seriously, especially in the tropics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom