Wow, that's a lot of weight!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer:
Not suggesting you were/are underweighted, just that your setup doesn't match that of some others who require more weight (e.g. fresh-water, non-neo DS, a relatively light undergarment by NE standards, etc).

So you're saying a 300g Thinsulate undergarment is considered "light" by NE standards? I know some people diving 400g in lake superior. I didn't think it was THAT far off.

Even with a 400g, in salt water, with Al80 tanks, I couldn't see how I would use more than 20 pounds. And I'm a fatter guy than most I would think. Again, this is just for the sake of comparison and understanding. I am not trying to say other people don't need what they need.

I may get to Lake Erie or Michigan this year and find out I need a lot more weight than I think.

Again, I think the non-neo DS helps. My undergarment (Pinnacle Merino Evo) is 650g of lining. I know lots of divers using this over the winter. And many of us wear something under that (e.g. a base layer of fleece). Do you really think an undergarment you plan to use in FL will work in <40F? 20# won't get me down. Again, see my original post, I'm not using that much more weight, but it's all needed (I've checked many times).

I intend to use the same undergarment up there you have. Right now, I am using the Pinnacle Evo (non Merino). And of course, I have my polarmax expedition weight to go under it when the water gets colder.

Like I said, we'll see when I get up there. I may be in for a rude surprise. But I have no intent of going to a neoprene drysuit.

Nor should you, you already own a trilam! My suit is 2mm compressed neoprene. Not much bouyancy swing at depth, but it obviously takes a bit more lead to get down than a bag suit. Was all I could afford at the time (used), and will get a trilam at some point in the future.

PerroneFord:
I intend to use the same undergarment up there you have. Right now, I am using the Pinnacle Evo (non Merino). And of course, I have my polarmax expedition weight to go under it when the water gets colder.

Like I said, we'll see when I get up there. I may be in for a rude surprise. But I have no intent of going to a neoprene drysuit.

Remember, going to the merino is going to double the lining (300g of merino), so that's definitely going to take some more weight. Other than that, though, you shouldn't have to worry about too much else (gloves aren't going to change much), so I don't think you'll have any crazy surprises.

Cold water: 5mm neo DS, double fleece uw, wool sweater and socks. 2x6 steel 300 BAR (15lbs negative) DSS BP 5lbs, 3lbs other stuf. Fresh water: 0lbs lead. Sea water: 3,5lbs lead.:)

Tropical: 3mm long WS, Jacket BC, Al80. Fresh water:0lbs lead. Sea water 3,5lbs lead.:D

Hmmm...cold fresh water with the 7mm hood gloves etc. Using my steel 119 I have 20 lbs of lead. (I'm tipping the scales over 300, but I'm not out of shape by any stretch, although I've worked out a rather nice beer gut over the years!)

The last time I dove warm salt water in my 3mm I had less than 10 dives and wore
26lbs the first few dives then dropped it to 24 by the end of the week.

6'5", 220 lbs in a 7mm Neoprene drysuit in 50 degree SW with an AL80 = 34lbs of lead here (12 on the belt, 10 in rear trim, 12 in ditchable weight pockets).

Cheers,
Austin

tri lam dry suit, nice thick under suit ( cant remember weight) t shirt, long johns, 7mm hood & i need 28lbs total. thats with a 15ltr steel tank. if another sweashirt goes on then so does another 2lbs, so max 30lbs in 5c water. i might add i am 6ft & 16 stone, how does this correlate with others?

I am a big man (my friends never believe my weight when I tell them, they think I carry it very well) with muscles and dense bone. In addition, I dive with a full 7mm wetsuit and a 7mm hooded vest year-round to keep warm while I lie still on the bottom waiting for a critter to do some interesting behavior I can film.

Because of that, and my desire to overweight myself to stay stable while filming, I routinely carry 36# of lead. Based on my body weight and the rule of thumb used in our waters, I'd need 32# of lead if I dropped the hooded vest. I find that is just about right when I dive with my hooded semi-dry 7mm wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom