WP-DC38 for s95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy the Canon s95 and stumbled upon this thread.

I already own a INON D-2000, INON UWL-105AD, INON UCL-165AD, INON optical cable kit (F-810), and INON AD mountbase (WP-FX710).

SW_scuba, you have the exact setup I'm trying to put together...
so, a few questions for you, if you don't mind. :D
There's no INON parts for the WP-DC38 yet, but you seem to have attached the mount for the WP-DC35.

How did you make that work? I was told it won't fit out of the box.
Did you need to make adjustments to it?

Could you give me the list of items you needed for this setup?

Also, how is the buoyancy of this setup? Probably negative, right?
I'm considering adding a medium INON floatarm instead of the lightweight arm you have in your pics. Any thoughts on that?

Any other tips for the setup?

Thanks!

I have a question regarding the mount base. I see reference to the 28AD mount base. Will the UFL-165AD fit in this base? I realize there may be vignetting, just want to know if the lense actually fits.
Is the 28 designation simply that they want you to use the 28 lenses or is there a physical size difference with the AD mount?
To be more specific, I have a mount base for a Fuji F30 which I use the UFL-165AD on. Will it essentially work the same on the S95 housing?

One final question.
Does the mount base attached to the canon housing cause any vignetting when there is no wet lense attached?

Thanks

Surger,

How did you make that work? I was told it won't fit out of the box.
Did you need to make adjustments to it?

I did have to modify the 28AD mount tray, but it wasn't hard. I used a small lathe mill (any tool that will cut aluminum) to notch the opening a little bigger on the mount tray to fit the housing bottom. I think it was a sixteenth on each side. I’ll post some pictures of the minor modification when I get back in town.

Could you give me the list of items you needed for this setup?

Canon S95
Canon WP-DC38 Housing
INON 28AD mount - minor modification
Inon UWL-100 28AD Wide Angle Conversion Lens with Dome - slight vignetting at 28mm
INON Optical D Cable (L Type)/Cap W51 Set for WP-DC35
INON D2000
ULCS arm, tray, and handle

Also, how is the buoyancy of this setup? Probably negative, right?

Right. For me this setup is not difficult to manage underwater (unless I drop it). The tray and strobe is negative but the housing is positive, which makes the unit a little top heavy in your hands. I think this setup is light underwater but others my differ. I'm working out the math to determine the positive weight required to balance the rig. I'm sure this will be a balancing act.

I'm considering adding a medium INON float arm instead of the lightweight arm you have in your pics. Any thoughts on that?

I think 1 or 2 float arms are a great idea. I am considering adding float arms, but not 100% sure yet.

Last edited:
Dear Chris196,

I have a question regarding the mount base. I see reference to the 28AD mount base. Will the UFL-165AD fit in this base? I realize there may be vignetting, just want to know if the lense actually fits..

There is an adapter you can buy that will let you use the UFL-165AD with a 28AD mount. Call Ryan at Reef Photo for the exact one.

Is the 28 designation simply that they want you to use the 28 lenses or is there a physical size difference with the AD mount?

No, the Inon AD and 28AD mounts are different from what I understand.

To be more specific, I have a mount base for a Fuji F30 which I use the UFL-165AD on. Will it essentially work the same on the S95 housing?

I don't think it will fit the WP-DC38 housing.

One final question.
Does the mount base attached to the canon housing cause any vignetting when there is no wet lense attached?

No, not with my setup. I used my Dremel tool on the inside right corner of the 28AD mount port to eliminate the minor vignetting that occurred.

Last edited:
Thanks, sw_scuba. Very helpful!

Would be great if you could post a pic of the modification later. I don't want to wait for INON to come out with a proper mount if this one is easily modified.

Yes, I know what you mean: the INON D2000 was a bit topheavy in my previous setup as well. I did some browsing and now think the INON float arms might give too much positive lift.

A simpler and more flexible solution - though less elegant - might be the 'Stix system float kit'. Adding one section close to the strobe might do the trick. I'll check these out in a shop next week.

My INON UWL-105AD will probably vignette too much, but I think the pro's of the camera outweigh the con of not being able to use this lens.

Any tips for underwater camera settings that work best for this setup?

Last edited:
While I appreciate the flexibility end what appear to be almost uncountable number of configurations, if I wanted something complicated, I'd kit an SLR. I'm really looking for something flexible enough to let me be a little creative but small and uncomplicated enough that it is an accessory for a good dive and dealing with the camera is not the focus.

At most, I'm thinking a single strobe and I've spent most of the afternoon reading about strobes and triggering mechanisms and haven't really made much progress figuring out which way to go on that front.

While I appreciate the flexibility end what appear to be almost uncountable number of configurations, if I wanted something complicated, I'd kit an SLR. I'm really looking for something flexible enough to let me be a little creative but small and uncomplicated enough that it is an accessory for a good dive and dealing with the camera is not the focus.

At most, I'm thinking a single strobe and I've spent most of the afternoon reading about strobes and triggering mechanisms and haven't really made much progress figuring out which way to go on that front.

Well, then maybe photography is not your deal because anything beyond a simple camera in a case will become complicated to some degree especially if lenses, external strobes and trays are involved.

It really is not so complicated, here you go:

Ikelite housing then simply purchase their AF35 single or double kit.

Canon housing, purchase the Inon lens mount/base when it comes out (soon) and then purchase a Inon S2000 or D2000 strobe as the Inon base has the rubber optical plugs included.

FIX/SeaRec, again simple, the housings come with a port adapter that will accept the Inon or YS optical cables.

Now, if you want to put an Inon or YS on the Ikelite or a YS on the Canon, you have to do some research and purchase any of a variety of plugs, Velcro, tape, rubber bushings etc.

Lenses, again simple:

Ikelite, use their UWL-20 or any 67mm threaded wide angle accessory lens or macro lens

Canon housing, get the Inon lens/base mount and the Inon UWL100-28AD and UCL165AD macro

FIX90/SeaRec95 get the 52mm adapter and the Fisheye UWL-04 lens and Fisheye macro kit. The FIX/Fisheye housings have a multitude of adapters and port kits to accept virtually any accessory lens.

FIX95, not released yet so I imagine it will be the UWL-04 wide angle and that Fisheye/FIX will supply a macro option.

Trays, most people use the UCLS trays with the FIX, Ikelite makes their own tray and Inon supplies a tray/handle for their base mount. Easy peasy.

N

Aha! Here is my post that was supposed to go in the thread I started. How did it get here! And in response to the post it was meant for, it wouldn't sound so terse.

Photography is my thing. I have more photo gear than anyone should admit to. Above the water, I've got all my gear, and my iphone/s95 I'm planning to buy for quick fun shots. When I am out to do photography, I'll have a couple bags of gear as that is the purpose of the trip. I don't want that right now for underwater. I want the iphone/s95 version. Small and easy to move around with but at the same time, good enough to do some fun things when the situation presents itself and to take photos to share with friends/family.

Aha! Here is my post that was supposed to go in the thread I started. How did it get here! And in response to the post it was meant for, it wouldn't sound so terse.

Photography is my thing. I have more photo gear than anyone should admit to. Above the water, I've got all my gear, and my iphone/s95 I'm planning to buy for quick fun shots. When I am out to do photography, I'll have a couple bags of gear as that is the purpose of the trip. I don't want that right now for underwater. I want the iphone/s95 version. Small and easy to move around with but at the same time, good enough to do some fun things when the situation presents itself and to take photos to share with friends/family.

Look, just me, from what you say, you have no choice but between these;

1. Remaining S90 stock and FIX90 housing

2. SeaRec95 with Canon S95

3. New FIX95 with S95.

4. Or possibly a FIX with G11/G12.

The other available housings (for these cameras with the exception of the Patima) are too compromised in function or bulk or ergonomics or quality and capability not to mention getting off on the accessory lens issue.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom