WP-DC38 for s95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't like the Ikelite, huh? Its a couple hundred less than the FIX.

Don't like the Ikelite, huh? Its a couple hundred less than the FIX.

If you are talking to me, like I said, the other housings including the Ikelite are too compromised. I would not want to deal with the S90/S95 without the rear ring control. As far as I am concerned without that control the camera is a cripple, DOA, TU, no freaking way would I want to push those little buttons instead of spin the control.

Others have their thoughts and are willing to compromise for a few hundred dollars savings, I wasn't and am glad for it. No thanks on the button pushing and holding the S button while pushing some other button and then reassigning functions back and forth to the front ring control, but you go girl/guy :).

And then there is the whole lens thing, no, I would not want to deal with the port issues on the Ikelite, it sets the lenses to far forward of the camera lens in my opinion and decidedly farther forward from the camera lens than the FIX.

One is a Chevette, the other is a BMW M3. :rofl3:

N

Hey JGoodStein,

Just wanted to let you know that Fantasea Line offers a wide range of lens accessories which were specially designed for your WP-DC38 Housing. The wide angle lens, when mounted on your housing lens port, creates absolutely no vignette in the image. Take a look at this system-

Fantasea_Accessories_S95.jpg

You're wlecome to contact me at rain@fantasea.com for any further info.

Dive Safely!

Most people have reported significant issues with the Fantasea "bubble" lens and strapping it on with a rubber band, lol, OK. it is really just a corrector lens, not a wide angle.

N

Photography is my thing. I have more photo gear than anyone should admit to. Above the water, I've got all my gear, and my iphone/s95 I'm planning to buy for quick fun shots. When I am out to do photography, I'll have a couple bags of gear as that is the purpose of the trip. I don't want that right now for underwater. I want the iphone/s95 version.

Hypertech, I think I'm in the same shoe as you.

On land, I have 2 DSLRs with 8 lenses (including 3 Ls) covering focal lengths from 10 to 400mm.

However, as a fairly new and infrequent diver, taking my 7D underwater is simply out of the question. (Not to mention the whole idea of not able to change lens underwater is not sitting well with me.)

I want the iphone/s95 version. Small and easy to move around with but at the same time, good enough to do some fun things when the situation presents itself and to take photos to share with friends/family.

Although I'm fairly new to scubadiving, underwater "photography" has been a part of my diving from day 1. My GF (now wife) uses a SD700 in a Canon housing, and I soon got the Fuji housing for my F30.

However, after the initial rush of being able to take photos underwater wore off, it soon became very frustrating for me to use either of those point-and-shoot setups, particularly because of what I can do above water: change focal lengths, change aperture/shutter speed/ISO at will, bounce/wirelessly trigger flash, etc.

This is why I'm here, researching for the best housing/wet lenses/strobe/tray/arms to go with a new S95.

If you want simplicity, get the Canon WP-38 (<$200) for the S95 and you have your all-in-one solution. However, if you are like me, you will very quickly outgrow that system and be endlessly frustrated underwater.

Just sharing the perspective of another land photographer.

:cool2:

Thanks for the comments. The 7D is a nice camera. I shoot a 5dm2 myself and have a small fleet of lenses with the red rings.

I bit the bullet and ordered the S95 w/ Fix 95 housing. It has the manual controls. I'm forgoing the strobe for now to have the better housing that gives me better access to the manual exposure controls.

Just one comment on the S95. It seems to eat batteries, and from a friend's experience one battery charge may not even last two dives. I have no idea why Canon have regressed so much in this area. By comparison my G10 can do seven dives, taking 30-40 shots per dive with lots of reviewing and using the internal flash around 50% of the time, and still show a full battery on the indicator.

Just one comment on the S95. It seems to eat batteries, and from a friend's experience one battery charge may not even last two dives. I have no idea why Canon have regressed so much in this area. By comparison my G10 can do seven dives, taking 30-40 shots per dive with lots of reviewing and using the internal flash around 50% of the time, and still show a full battery on the indicator.

If you are doing five dives at 30 to 40 shots per dive, that is 150 to 200, seven then 210 to 280 photos which is in the range of what I get with my S90 shooting flash probably 80% of the time, I cannot speak for the S95. BTW, it too will show a full meter until about the last 10 or so flash shots, maybe the last 20 or 30 sans flash. Since I mostly shoot flash (fill), I wouldn't mind the meter hack that is available when I get around to it.

PC090425.jpg

N

I always order an extra battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom