Wreck Diver Defined?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentFrazier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm curious as to how members of this board define a "wreck diver". More specificaly, what would you say are the minimum "requirements" to be considered a wreck diver?

For example, would a recreational diver who enjoys diving deliberatly sunk boats within the recreational limits and no penetration be a considered wreck diver?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Kent

IMHO a wreck diver is a diver that can look at a wreck and know what
(s)he's looking at in structural or functional terms. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have to penetrate it to appreciate it.
There are divers that like diving wrecks just for the superficial coral structures or the concentration of life in a small area without actually paying any attention to the supporting structure.
They may just as well be diving a reef.

I consider a Wreck Diver as one certified for penetration. Just diving the outside of the wrecks is just looking at cool things underwater. And subject to the profile/depth anyone can do it.

Charles

Charles, just curious...if one does it but isn't certified, what?
If you base jump but aren't certified, are you still a base jumper?

Hmmm. I took the question that was asked to mean if you were trained as a Wreck diver. I myself have the certification but by far enjoy diving the outside of wrecks more. The life on the outside is usually awesome. Rarely do I have a lot of interest in going in. I guess what I am saying is that I think there is a difference between someone that likes to dive wrecks versa being trained as one to enter them. Anyone can dive onto wrecks I just think they need training to go into them. I may of read to much into the question.:D

Charles

Aquanautchuck:
I consider a Wreck Diver as one certified for penetration. Just diving the outside of the wrecks is just looking at cool things underwater. And subject to the profile/depth anyone can do it.

Charles

Most of the best wreck divers I know aren't "certified", although some are certainly certifiable, and some of the best wrecks around here can't be penetrated. If you can't go inside is it still a wreck? If you don't go inside are you still a wreck diver? If you dive (for example) on an object shown as "?" on the GPS and find an old British submarine that's been missing since 1918 and identify it without a penetration, are you still making a wreck dive? What about if you make some kind of silly swim-through on a boat like the Spiegel Grove that has all of the mystery of a fire hydrant?

Is the Spiegel Grove even a wreck?

I'd say it's not that cut and dry. I'd say anyone who enjoys diving on wrecks can call themselves a wreck diver. The ones out there on weekends diving on the "?" objects on the gps are certainly wreck divers in my book.

R..

HEY! I agree.

Rob, your description captures the "spirit" of wreck divers very eloquently.

This is similar to defining "deep". My personal definition of a wreck difer is someone who interacts with the wreck. This usually, but doesn't have to include penetration. I wouldn't describe someone who only dives the outside of a wreck and never touches it, to be a wreck diver but I'm not going to tell them that unless they ask.

Defining a wreck diver is not the same as defining a Cave Diver. I thik most people will agree that a cave diver is one who has the appropriate credentials, mindset, skillset, and gear to explore caves and does so regularly. Someone who dives caves without the proper training, gear, etc is an idiot (soon to be dead idiot), not a cavediver.

Those who penetrate the Andrea Doria, and also those who go down 50 feet on a single 80 to look at an artificial reef and obtain just as much enjoyment, both call themselves wreck divers although clearly those are not the same.

Perhaps there should be a different term for the deep wreck penetration diver...like Deep Wreck Exploration Diver.

Diver0001:
Most of the best wreck divers I know aren't "certified", although some are certainly certifiable, . . . R..

Thank you:wink:. You surely must know some wreck divers:D.

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom