Wrecks in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FinnDiverMN

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Buddy and I are looking to make a 4-day trip to the Keys in mid-October. What location would provide the "biggest bang for our buck" without having to drive a ton? We are not wreck certified.

Buddy and I are looking to make a 4-day trip to the Keys in mid-October. What location would provide the "biggest bang for our buck" without having to drive a ton? We are not wreck certified.
For diving, key largo. Duane, Bibb, Speigal Grove, others no longer recognizable.

Be prepared for a sharp intake of breath when you see hotel rates.

Yeah, I know that . . . I just wanted to give people an idea of our experience when they consider their suggestions.

Key Largo. Hope that the currents on the wrecks are light and visibility good. You just never know.

If you have up to 6 divers, I suggest Quiescence over the big operators. You hire them and tell them where you want to go. Top notch operation.

Key Largo Marriott using Marriott points is your best bet. Otherwise $$$$$

Anyone have recent and specific rates on Hotels in the Key Largo area ?
If you were going there for 2 weeks of training and wanted clean reasonable place to stay where would be good for that?

Wookie is the expert on all things Keys.

It would be nice if someone did a trip review of their Trip to the U-2513 and the S-16 or some of the other Military wrecks near Key West.

Anyone have recent and specific rates on Hotels in the Key Largo area ?
If you were going there for 2 of training and wanted clean reasonable place to stay where would be good for that?

Wookie is the expert on all things Keys.

It would be nice if someone did a trip review of their Trip to the U-2513 and the S-16 or some of the other Military wrecks near Key West.
S-16 is near Key West. The U-boat is 80 miles away.

Far from an expert on the Keys, I have never dived Key Largo except from my own boat.

Wilkes, saufley, curb, s-16, u boat are all 150 plus feet. You don’t see too many trip reports because they are so rarely dived. Richie Kohler took me to them the first time, and is having a terrible time getting back to them, although a mutual friend may be taking his boat to his folks house in Naples for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom