Wrecks in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome. Looking forward to pics and a trip report!
Hi Eric. Will do. I've dived wrecks for the last two days and have three more days to go. This is me on the USCGC Duane today at about 100'.

FB_IMG_1667341570372.jpg

Well, we sure had a fun trip! 3 days of diving with Horizon, 8 of the 10 dives on the Spiegel Grove. Don't waste your time with the shallow trips, you know what I'm sayin . . . Horizon's operation and crew were great all around. Lots of tech divers on board, we as rec divers were definitely a minority. A very large wreck indeed, much to see and did not get boring over those days. :) Visibility was fair, not great, but the seas were moderate and virtually no current on the wreck, so the diving was very pleasant and effortless. Our dives were between 90 and 110 ft. The superstructure is very fun to poke in and out of, and the hallways and rooms at the main level and above were easy to negotiate / navigate. I saw my first Goliath Grouper, it seems to be a resident of the starboard crane tower. Two shark sightings, one from a distance, another close-up.

James from Divers Ready (YouTube channel) was on board with his tech student, and it was nice to meet him and chat him up about tech.

We stayed in an AirBnB RV at Calusa Campground, a decent place to crash at $195 / night for two, about a 10min drive from Horizon.

My camera work is horrendous, so nothing to share pic wise. . . :wink:

2nd all the Key Largo recommendations. There's a couple nice shallower ones than Duane/Bibb, SG. The City of Washington is a natural shipwreck, and the Benwood is a great night dive.🙂 You might be able to do them all in the time you have.

Here's my SG dive from last week. Please forgive all the explanatory info at the beginning. My YT channel's followers are not likely divers. [U/W scenes were filmed with a Gen 2 Paralenz Vaquita.]

Back
Top Bottom