Wrecks in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct again. Those wrecks are all on my wreck wish list. I hope one day when I have the proper training and experience I can then write it up on SB so others may use it as a resource to plan their own trips.
I wish you had your personal boat still down there for me to rent from you. Perhaps I can split a charter with Richie one day. Timing, it's everything in life.

Correct again. Those wrecks are all on my wreck wish list. I hope one day when I have the proper training and experience I can then write it up on SB so others may use it as a resource to plan their own trips.
I wish you had your personal boat still down there for me to rent from you. Perhaps I can split a charter with Richie one day. Timing, it's everything in life.
Mine was a 100 foot charter boat liveaboard. At least the one I visited those wrecks with. If you want a boat to go to those wrecks on, I will have a recommendation. Once you're qualified.

I wrote a trip report many years back. It received little attention as that kind of diving appeals to few.

If you have up to 6 divers, I suggest Quiescence over the big operators. You hire them and tell them where you want to go. Top notch operation.

Key Largo Marriott using Marriott points is your best bet. Otherwise $$$$$

I 100% agree with the recommendation for Quiescence. I would also call some of the other operators to see who is planning on going out to the wrecks. I was disappointed when 2 of my normal "goto" places decided that unless you were charting the whole boat, they really weren't doing the larger wrecks like the Duane/Bibb/Spiegel Grove and were staying closer to shore.

The Marriott using points is likely the best hotel option. Higher end (using points) is the new-ish Playa Largo Resort (think Ritz Carlton level).

If you're looking for cheap, diver-friendly places try:
  • The Pelican Key Largo Cottages
  • Seafarer Resort and Beach
I've also had good luck with VRBO's - though I did end up staying in Islamorada a couple of times to get the price and quality I was looking for.

Mine was a 100 foot charter boat liveaboard. At least the one I visited those wrecks with. If you want a boat to go to those wrecks on, I will have a recommendation. Once you're qualified.
I know you do Brother and I will reach out, when the time is right. Lots of training to do between now and then. I would still rather go with you as my Capt. I love liveaboards.

I wrote a trip report many years back. It received little attention as that kind of diving appeals to few.

Awesome report. That is a trip that I would like to have been on. Those are 3 of the wrecks on my list that could have been had in one trip. Strange that I have searched on here several times for the U-2513 and that report did not come up. Thanks for the link.

Buddy and I are looking to make a 4-day trip to the Keys in mid-October. What location would provide the "biggest bang for our buck" without having to drive a ton? We are not wreck certified.
Stay in Key Largo, you have the Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb plus the rest of Pennekamp. Use Horizon Divers or Rainbow Reef.
Run down to Islamorada and hook up with Key Dives for the Eagle.

Of course, check their boat schedules for when they are running and where.

Wow - thanks, guys, those are some great pointers! I'll look into them.

Couple of other suggestions. First, as stated above, the hotel prices really are insane. When I was down in May, a couple of folks we dove with were staying in Florida City (maybe Best Western?) for around $90 a night. It's not hard to spend 3X that in Key Largo. The downside is that the drive is in the neighborhood of 30 min to Key Largo. If there is a cancellation for weather, you might make the drive for nothing. We found an air bnb in the Key Largo Kampground for $130 a night. It was a travel traveler with a an enclosed porch built on to it. Definitely nothing to write home about. BUT, it was clean, had a kitchen, was next door to Publix, and less than 10 min from the marina.

I agree with the other posters that Quiescence runs a good show. My preference is Horizon Divers.

Back
Top Bottom