Wrist or SPG computer, that is the question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i like wrist models because i can keep my hands in front of me at all times and see my depth and time at a glance

it's a lot less trouble than having to refer to your console all the time

this really helps at times when depth is critical such as on a slow ascent or safety stop

This is also what I do. You should also have your compass on a wrist mount. It really helps with your control in the water.

I've made a lot of gear configuration changes over the years, and some were preference or just different, and some made my diving better. But there are a few changes that made a BIG difference in my diving and I'd never go back. Wrist gages is one of them. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has dived wrist gages and then went back to a console. It's just so darned easy to flick your eyes to the right a bit and see what you need to see. You don't even know you're doing it, but you suddenly seem to have a constant knowledge of time and depth without doing anything.

As to SPG, you don't really need that on your wrist 'cause you kinda' get to know where your gas pressure is without looking, But it's nice to take an occasional glance at it just to confirm.

I've made a lot of gear configuration changes over the years, and some were preference or just different, and some made my diving better. But there are a few changes that made a BIG difference in my diving and I'd never go back. Wrist gages is one of them. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has dived wrist gages and then went back to a console. It's just so darned easy to flick your eyes to the right a bit and see what you need to see. You don't even know you're doing it, but you suddenly seem to have a constant knowledge of time and depth without doing anything.

As to SPG, you don't really need that on your wrist 'cause you kinda' get to know where your gas pressure is without looking, But it's nice to take an occasional glance at it just to confirm.

-pretty much the way it seems to happen...

Thanks for all the replys it looks like the wrist has it. No one who replied seems to use a wrist with transmitter or Suunto comps. for that matter?:wink:

i like wrist models because i can keep my hands in front of me at all times and see my depth and time at a glance

it's a lot less trouble than having to refer to your console all the time

this really helps at times when depth is critical such as on a slow ascent or safety stop

as for a model, it's hard to beat the Aeris XR1

Aeris XR1 Wrist Computer reviews and discounts, Aeris

i prefer the old Aeris Atmos I, but those are hard to find now a days

if you are going to dive Nitrox eventually, you might want to go with the Aeris XR1 Nx model

Aeris XR 1 NX Wrist Dive Computer reviews and discounts, Aeris

Mares makes a cheaper nitrox unit, but i am not familiar with their algorhythm:

Mares M2 Nitrox Computer reviews and discounts, Mares

I have to tell you this Mares unit sounds too good to be true, at $165 it's a steal and has large readout, simulations and a AAA battery that is isolated from the comp.:D
Anyone using one of these?

I can not speek for everyone but the wirless transmitter is something that can fail. One dead battery and your dive is over. No way to know how much air you have. They do look cool but I'm all about the dive.

I would also save your money on the watch style mount and look into getting a bungie mount. On my Oceanic Versa Pro the mount is just like a watch band. One little pin holding it all togeather. On the bungie you have two of them that must break before you loose the computer. I like them odds!

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments

Hi,
I am diving with the Mares M2 for over an year. I didn't have any problems with but a lot of people I know did. 3 of them failed within 6 months and much more of them had problems with the wristbands. There aren't just durable.
As for the battery changes, it's very very easy. As far as I know M2 is discontinued before a year ego. that might be the reason why it's so cheap. On paper it is a good computer.
Even though if you ask me, I wouldn't recommend you.
Take a look to the Suunto Gekko which is fairly similar to the M2 but it might be a little bit more expensive.

Even if you want to buy a computer on a console, do not buy air integrated. All computers fail and the last gauge you want to lose during the dive is the pressure gauge.
just get a simple analoge spg which is much more reliable than computers.

Hi,
I am diving with the Mares M2 for over an year. I didn't have any problems with but a lot of people I know did. 3 of them failed within 6 months and much more of them had problems with the wristbands. There aren't just durable.
As for the battery changes, it's very very easy. As far as I know M2 is discontinued before a year ego. that might be the reason why it's so cheap. On paper it is a good computer.
Even though if you ask me, I wouldn't recommend you.
Take a look to the Suunto Gekko which is fairly similar to the M2 but it might be a little bit more expensive.

Even if you want to buy a computer on a console, do not buy air integrated. All computers fail and the last gauge you want to lose during the dive is the pressure gauge.
just get a simple analoge spg which is much more reliable than computers.

I have just been offered a new Suunto Gecko console for $202 plus $20 shipping. No warranty, not an approved dealer. Yes buy it or not?:confused:

I have the VEO180nx I realy like it . It is a wrist computer . I find it easier to watch my time and depth it is about the same price as the VEO100 , THE 180 IS NITREX COMPATABLE HAS A GOOD SCREEN SIZE TO .

I dive a hose less air int... I also have a back up computer on the other wrist. Guage Mode. I have never had a problem, but one day will. I am prepared for this. Diving my doubles, I also use a analog spg.

Attachments

• 12`1 006.jpg
    12`1 006.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 12`1 008.jpg
    12`1 008.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom