Wristwatch/Computer for Gadget freak ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I read through all your posts, I get a strong sense that you should not buy a computer now. It is just not needed for the dives you are planning NOW.

You say, though, that this may change, depending upon a lot of variables. I would not be surprised. I was first certified with the goal of doing a handful of dives every other year or so in a tropical paradise. Things changed petty quickly. If they do change for you, then you computer needs will change, too.

I would therefore not buy a computer until I had a better sense of what I will need when I finally need it.

BTW, I am in a similar situation myself, believe it or not. I bought a computer a decade ago that I am still using for recreational dives. It still serves that purpose well, but I have reached a point where I know I will need something with more features before too long. I don't know what I will buy when "before too long" finally arrives, but I do know that there is a good chance that anything I buy now will all too likely be the wrong one.

I agree on waiting a bit. Sometime after you get certified you'll have a better handle on what you want and more importantly why you want it.

If you buy a real computer, which I personally think makes more sense than a glorified watch, I recommend getting one that handles Nitrox. That won't be that expensive and is one feature people are somewhat likely to wind up wanting later even if they don't think they will now. (And if you decide you want something else that will probably help with it's resale value.)

Aside from Nitrox, there is a really good chance the basic feature set found in even the lowest end dive computers will meet your needs for as long as you dive. So it really comes down to if you want something smaller and more watch-like, or want something bigger that might be easier to see and operate. And what features appeal to you beyond the basics, since you say you're a gadget freak.

It seems like I am leaning towards Mares Puck if I have to have a computer without the watch. It seems affordable and sophisticated enough for me.

The only comment I'd make about that computer is that there is only one button to control the screen. It's usually less annoying with a two button computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom