xDeep BLACK - bottom timer / computer features. Sold beginning Friday, July 26th !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never, ever, ever, buy any gear (dive, technical, personal computer etc) until it has been available for a least a year and there have been no adverse comments. Why anyone would consider buying this computer after all the false promises and failures I do not understand.

I would never consider using it as a primary computer. There is an undercurrent in the thread in which many have stated that they intend using it as a backup. At least until it has been proven.

The big question is where are the 800 computers that they are manufacturing each month going?

I don't think they are manufacturing 800 units a month, maybe 80, but more likely 8. LOL

I don't think they are manufacturing 800 units a month, maybe 80, but more likely 8. LOL

I'm curious about that too. Shearwater only employs something like 20 people TOTAL, and they can make all the dive computers they can sell with no problem. And they're arguably the most popular tech computer in the world. Whatever the case, 800 is a whole lot of computers.

Well, you have a point about how they handled this thread, but I think the (to me, very overdone) rage and contempt on this thread has pushed them in to a more defensive posture. We all know the ideal communication that we would like, but people are just human after all and when you (repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly) express anger or scorn for them they tend to withdraw. A humiliating business school case study?? Please. I hope no one here actually instigated that.

I learned, from this thread and the links, that x-deep was having manufacturing issues and the the wait could be long. I also learned, from this thread, that if I was a confirmed buyer that had plunked down my money I could get direct personal feedback from TDG or XDeep and would know about further delays. If you are a paying customer and are dissatisfied with your contact with TDG or Xdeep, then you certainly have a right to complain.

I also learned that, as a member of the non-buying but eagerly awaiting general public, I would not get the personal customer service or responses that paying customers got.

No problem there, that is what customer service is all about, customers.

I also learned that TDG and X-deep might not regularly monitor this thread or give it the same attention it gives to paying customers. These are small outfits, not Scubapro or Oceanic, who might be able to dedicate personnel to thread watching. So, no big deal.

Since I was able to take away all of this from the thread, could not others?

It is hard to imagine a more specialized or smaller market than high-end dive computers. We should count ourselves lucky that outfits like Shearwater, Liquivision, XDeep and Uemis advanced the state of the art for all of us, they are certainly not going to be millionaires over this.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing the computers in person next month.

You are apologizing for what is totally unacceptable behavior from TDG. The only reason there is a thread on Scubaboard is because THEY started it in JULY of 2013 saying the units are ready to ship. When the units did not ship TDG abandoned this thread and only recently have come back. It is not that difficult or time-consuming to monitor a thread. DSS and HOG are also small companies and their owners are able to monitor multiple threads on multiple websites without any problems.

When did you learn of all the issues you talk about? In July of 2013 or in April of 2014?

---------- Post added April 18th, 2014 at 10:33 AM ----------

I'm curious about that too. Shearwater only employs something like 20 people TOTAL, and they can make all the dive computers they can sell with no problem. And they're arguably the most popular tech computer in the world. Whatever the case, 800 is a whole lot of computers.

If I made a guess, it would be that financing is holding them back. Sometimes small companies underestimate the total investment needed to launch a project and cash flow becomes an issue. Shearwater specializes in dive computers and doesn't have investments in other inventory such as backplates and wings. Another problem could be logistics, we know the panels (and probably other components) come from the far east which adds complexity. A dive computer is more complex to manufacture than a backplate and wing. X-Deep may be over their heads.

Yes I agree 100%. It would have been nice to learn about the delays from the manufacturer. IF ONLY THEY HAD CHOSEN TO INFORM US OF THESE DELAYS. Instead they elected to tell us at every opportunity that delivery was always two weeks away. They had ample opportunity to correct this and in fact have NEVER ADRESSED it hence the frustration and outrage. SB is an excellent medium to do so-it was Piotr who chose SB to make the availability announcement here.

Oh, I've seen the computers inperson three times. They look great!

Lucky you! Did they have any demo in the nitrox mode? How was the screen layout?

Are you suggesting that Seb may be embellishing things a wee bit? Say it aint so. As I understand it, in two weeks production will be fully ramped up. Meantime, they have missed yet another 2 week deadline. (Since BTS, just in case anyone really cares any more).

---------- Post added April 18th, 2014 at 03:23 PM ----------

Lucky you! Did they have any demo in the nitrox mode? How was the screen layout?

Screen layout is awesome. Screen is even better. Saw all three models. I only want nitrox. A very well designed piece of hardware. Worth waiting for.

---------- Post added April 18th, 2014 at 03:24 PM ----------

X-Deep may be over their heads.

They are spending major bucks at tradeshows. BTS, DEMA now in Miami too. They have a large booth and presence. Not cheap.

Are you suggesting that Seb may be embellishing things a wee bit? Say it aint so. As I understand it, in two weeks production will be fully ramped up. Meantime, they have missed yet another 2 week deadline. (Since BTS, just in case anyone really cares any more).
-

They are spending major bucks at tradeshows. BTS, DEMA now in Miami too. They have a large booth and presence. Not cheap.

Think about it, 800 units a month is almost 10,000 a year. That is a lot of computers to move, especially when competing against others such as Sheerwater, Liquidvision, Hollis, and Dive Rite. How many technical divers are there in the world? Some rec divers may want it but for the base cost they can buy 2 Mares pucks.

They need to spend money at trade shows to get the word out. Who sells X-Deep besides DRIS and NESS?

We (xDeep) manufactures from 120 - 200 units per week, very soon it will be around 1500 per month and that should solve most of the 'waiting' problems.

How was THIS missed? Hasn't Seb said multiple times he's just a distributor, and that's why he can't tell us anything concrete.....xDeep is holding information back from him, but he's relaying everything he gets? Then why did he call himself xDeep?

I have to start new thread this one gets old, every three pages it's "they should, they did, they didn't etc" then one or two comments with different point of view and again "they should, they did, they didn't" it's like 50 yrs old marriages nothing else to talk about ... is there actually something that you may wanna know about the computer itself ? but please save whatever we were repeating in last 50 pages.

I have to start new thread this one gets old, every three pages it's "they should, they did, they didn't etc" then one or two comments with different point of view and again "they should, they did, they didn't" it's like 50 yrs old marriages nothing else to talk about ... is there actually something that you may wanna know about the computer itself ? but please save whatever we were repeating in last 50 pages.

The question of where the 800 computers manufactured each month are going is new. You said earlier you sell 1-2 per day. Are the other 740 being sold in Europe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom