XDeep Ghost versus competitors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fritz01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I'm looking for a new BCD. I came upon the XDeep ghosts which looks great, fits my price range, etc. But I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions. I'm sure its a great piece of equipment, but I don't want to get down the line and say crap I should have just bought X. The nice thing I hear is that it is easily adaptable/upgradable I think. The other things I was looking at were the Hollis BC's but I didn't know about others.

Fritz

I would take ZEOS 17 instead ( ZEOS with simple harness (everything else is just excess baggage that you will sooner or later be abandoned))

If you want light BCD - just take normal Alu plate (maybe is ghost 0,1-0,2kg lighter but structural (impact) is more sensitive ).

Ghost is strange ...waist strap too high on backplate , and also rear valve is too high ( i perfer more back - compare yourself with others)

what i see positive is ''Completely redesigned inflator connection''

Thank you!

---------- Post added October 21st, 2013 at 03:08 PM ----------

Do you know if you can modify the ghost for double tanks in the future?

Why do you want an X-deep instead of a more widely sold brand? What are the advantages? Unless you are getting a great deal, this sells for the same price as a Halcyon and more than DSS, Dive Rite, Hollis, or Oxycheq.

I'm also looking at the xDeep GHOST.
It is probably the lightest wing out there which may make a big difference if you are travelling.
just take normal Alu plate (maybe is ghost 0,1-0,2kg lighter
Utter nonsense. The standard version with cam-bands and pockets is 3.9kg. The deluxe version, with cam bands is 4.2kg. The Ghost is 2.3kg.

and also rear valve is too high
I agree....it does look high

Do you know if you can modify the ghost for double tanks in the future?
No you can't .... I asked the same question.

For you info, I am also looking at Halcyon. They do a Traveller pro which weighs 2.5kg ...but again is a single tank solution with no upgrade potential.

My goal is to get a solution which is as light as possible for travel, but I'd like to think I could also dive it with stages or twins. To do this really means a conventional plate (as opposed to the ghost of Halcyon Traveller resin plate)
So, I'll probably end up with an aluminium plate and a wing for single tank and another wink for twins.

I'm also looking at the xDeep GHOST.
It is probably the lightest wing out there which may make a big difference if you are travelling.

Utter nonsense. The standard version with cam-bands and pockets is 3.9kg. The deluxe version, with cam bands is 4.2kg. The Ghost is 2.3kg.

I agree....it does look high

No you can't .... I asked the same question.

For you info, I am also looking at Halcyon. They do a Traveller pro which weighs 2.5kg ...but again is a single tank solution with no upgrade potential.

My goal is to get a solution which is as light as possible for travel, but I'd like to think I could also dive it with stages or twins. To do this really means a conventional plate (as opposed to the ghost of Halcyon Traveller resin plate)
So, I'll probably end up with an aluminium plate and a wing for single tank and another wink for twins.

There are no good solutions on the market for diving doubles and singles with the same wing. The sms100 is close to good, but you really need two dedicated wings.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

So, I'll probably end up with an aluminium plate and a wing for single tank and another wing for twins.

People have tried to use doubles wings in the past for single tank diving. In fact, their are several doubles wings on the market that have cam band slots. The problem with using doubles wings with a single tank is that they are too wide and wrap around the tank, increasing drag and making them difficult to vent. This will suck big time for single tank tropical diving. No one will recommend this. The only wing close to what you want is the UDT Delta Hybrid which allows single tank backmount and doubles side-mount.

I know European airlines (especially the charters) are weight Nazis. However, you need to think about the cost vs the weight savings. It may be less expensive to use lighter weight fins or a lighter bag then spend the money on a ultralight backplate. If you want soemthing light and inexpensive for tropical diving I would suggest the Zeagle Express Tech with plastic cam buckles. You could also replace the inflator with an Air 2-type combo inflator to save more weight.

Here were my reasons,
1) Ghost is light - yes, i know you could modify other BCD's with aluminum backplates and plastic buckles but there are two problems with that. First, you may have to pay extra. Second, it's a hassel and integrity may diminish.
2) Ghost is cheap - While it may not be as cheap as the hollis ride, it is cheaper than the other hollis tech BCD (HTS 2). All of the Zeagles are more expensive. If you dont get the weight pockets the Ghost is $619 with $699. I haven't found any other BCD's for technical diving under or even at $700.
3) Ghost is future proof - It appears as if I may have been wrong about this, in which case I will reconsider. I thought you could get one of the double wings from xdeep and get it on the ghost but I guess I was wrong.
4) Ghost is nice - It looks like a really nice BCD. I won't go into all the features but for me (I am 6'4") I always have a problem with my fins sinking. I think the harness instead of crotch strap and the shape of the BCD will help keep my torso horizontal, and keep me upright with good lift at the surface.

I think you could use the ghost with stages but I'm not sure about that.

I really like my Ghost for simple warm water single tank dives. You cannot use it with doubles but a stage cylinder goes nicely with you. The bottom attachment on side slung cylinder is a bith high due to higg waist strap but I didn't find this a problem. I used it a week last summer on a liveaboard and it performed great. I did almost all my dives with al80 8n my back and another al80 side slung. The double crotch strap is a little odd but i actually liked it too. I attached d-rings to bith side and boltsnapped a huge amount of stuff there.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

Back
Top Bottom