XDeep Ghost versus competitors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here were my reasons,
1) Ghost is light - yes, i know you could modify other BCD's with aluminum backplates and plastic buckles but there are two problems with that. First, you may have to pay extra. Second, it's a hassel and integrity may diminish.
2) Ghost is cheap - While it may not be as cheap as the hollis ride, it is cheaper than the other hollis tech BCD (HTS 2). All of the Zeagles are more expensive. If you dont get the weight pockets the Ghost is $619 with $699. I haven't found any other BCD's for technical diving under or even at $700.
3) Ghost is future proof - It appears as if I may have been wrong about this, in which case I will reconsider. I thought you could get one of the double wings from xdeep and get it on the ghost but I guess I was wrong.
4) Ghost is nice - It looks like a really nice BCD. I won't go into all the features but for me (I am 6'4") I always have a problem with my fins sinking. I think the harness instead of crotch strap and the shape of the BCD will help keep my torso horizontal, and keep me upright with good lift at the surface.

I think you could use the ghost with stages but I'm not sure about that.

You are obviously not looking very hard or you don't understand what a technical diving BC is.

The most expensive "tech BC" I sell for single tank diving is under $450.00 MAP and with some options there are ways to get it under $400.

It consists of a 32 lb wing, a steel plate, a basic harness with all the hardware that is NECESSARY, and a pair of cam bands. That's it. That's all that is required. Weight pockets, pockets on the BC, and quick releases are not necessary or really even recommended.

There are pockets for your suit that glue on or are worn like the x shorts. Weight belts and harnesses are available if they are even needed.

Quick releases and buckles are not required either. A properly adjusted basic one piece harness is easy to get into and out of. Whoever is giving you direction about "tech BC's" has no idea what they are talking about if you think you can't get one for under $700. That's just crazy.

You do not need padding, integrated weights, or other gimmicks.

It sounds like you need to do a lot more research into what tech diving actually is and stop listening to whoever is feeding you the line of crap that they are.

And an FYI, most tech divers would not consider the HTS 2 a tech BC. It's a harness with way too much padding, buckles and quick releases that are not needed, some type of cummerbund that is also not needed and some oddly placed d rings. It's a tech wannabe for tech wannabe's.

Yea the Ghost is NOT a tech bc, but it is a good bc for tech diver who wants to fly somewhere warm to do some easy shallow reef dives.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

Look I admit I dont know much about technical diving, all I have to go on is what I can research and find on the internet. Which is why I started this thread. **Note I am a new diver looking to get into technical diving** I don't claim to know anything or push this product (look at my # of dives), I was just wondering if my line of reasoning was sound, which I suppose it is not. Thank you for your input. Any suggestions would be nice.

Okay, so......to inform you, the Ghost is not a "technical BCD." The Hollis HTS2 isn't either. I haven't seen any Zeagles I'd consider "Tech BCD's" either. There are two types of "Tech BCDs" with two sub-categories each. There are backplate/wings (BPW) and there are sidemount harnesses (SM). Backplate wings have either a single-tank or doubles wing. A single-tank wing works with JUST one tank, should have 40# or less of lift (arguably, WAY less). Doubles wings are too wide to work with a single tank, single wings are too narrow to work with doubles. Sidemount rigs come in "big" and "little" varieties (I'm simplifying there, but yeah). The SMS100 is "big" and the Stealth is "little". The "big" rigs are mostly used in colder water, with steel tanks, drysuits, and a lot of tanks. The "small" rigs are mostly used in warmer water with aluminum tanks.

If you try getting a rig that can accomodate a single tank AND doubles, the SMS100 is one of the few rigs that can really do it all. I don't recommend it for doing it all, but it can. Really, just get a BPW with a singles wing right now. Get a DIR-style harness. You only need 5 or 6 d-rings. You don't need padding, or buckles, or clips, or pockets. All of those just add CRAP to your rig (failure points, clutter, etc). All of those bells and whistles are sold to sucker newer divers into buying crap they don't need. If/when you DO get in to Tech diving, you'll want your singles wing anyway. By the time you get into tech diving, the ~$250 cost of a new doubles wing will NOT bother you. Well, it shouldn't. $250 is barely a drop in the bucket.

CaveAdventurers has a great deal on Hollis BPW setups. DiveGearExpress has a great deal on Dive Rite BPW setups. Jim Lapenta can hook you up with Hog brand BPW setups.

Thank you! yea I gleamed that you could get the replacement wings for doubles. I'll definitely be looking into the SMS100 and the rest!

I would not recommend sms100. In theory it can do everything but it really is good at nothing. Ghost is a great recreational travel bc, basic steel plate and single wing is a tech bc. Later you just get another bigger wing for doubles if you push deeper and longer.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

Mikko, the SMS100 (after Edd gets done with it) is the best SM rig I've used. I'm in absolutely perfect trim with it. For steels, I don't think it can be beat. Maybe the Halcyon Contour could beat it, but it can't do BM at all. I think that doubles or singles SHOULD dive BPW, but if OP knows he wants to dive sidemount then he had might as well considered a CA-special SMS100.

Could work for some, i haven't tried it SM. My weapon of choice to sidemount is xdeep stealth. Works perfectly in my cold water diving with steels.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

Here were my reasons,
1) Ghost is light - yes, i know you could modify other BCD's with aluminum backplates and plastic buckles but there are two problems with that. First, you may have to pay extra. Second, it's a hassel and integrity may diminish.
2) Ghost is cheap - While it may not be as cheap as the hollis ride, it is cheaper than the other hollis tech BCD (HTS 2). All of the Zeagles are more expensive. If you dont get the weight pockets the Ghost is $619 with $699. I haven't found any other BCD's for technical diving under or even at $700.
3) Ghost is future proof - It appears as if I may have been wrong about this, in which case I will reconsider. I thought you could get one of the double wings from xdeep and get it on the ghost but I guess I was wrong.
4) Ghost is nice - It looks like a really nice BCD. I won't go into all the features but for me (I am 6'4") I always have a problem with my fins sinking. I think the harness instead of crotch strap and the shape of the BCD will help keep my torso horizontal, and keep me upright with good lift at the surface.

I think you could use the ghost with stages but I'm not sure about that.

A BP/W system is modular you can mix and match components and it does not impact strength. For example, many divers use AL plates with steel doubles because they don't need any additional weight. There is nothing wrong with plastic cam buckles either. Most rec BCs use them without problems. Plastic buckles and d-rings are fine on the harness also if you are doing straight rec diving.

What components does Xdeep include in the weight figure? I never see any cam straps. They also don't talk about lift. It may be not be significantly lighter than other rigs.

You are not comparing apples to apples. Here is a link to a Dive Rite system for $299. If you want to build a system with a Hollis wing start here. So at $619 it is not all that cheap. DSS will sell you a complete system for $460.

As others have chimed in, the XDeep is not future proof and cannot be used with doubles. It can be used with stages but so can most any bc that has the proper lift. Also is has a single bladder wing which I would not use in any environment where it can get punctured such as a wreck. Most manufacturers have abandoned single bladder wings because of the puncturing problem. However, for rec use they are great, some of use wish they were still made.

I agree that the ghost is cool looking and you won't see many of them on a dive boat.

As far as your trim problems I would fix them first before purchasing the system . If your feet sink then your fins are heavy or your wearing your weight too low. A pair of XS weight pockets on your cam straps for $20 may fix the problem. Also what exposure protection are you wearing? If you switch to a dry suit your feet may be too light.

In the end it is your money and your decision. We just want you to be an educated consumer, many of us were taken advantage of by dive stores selling us products we did not need.

If you are in Charlotte then visit Divers Supply to see what they have. They carry Hog, Hollis, and Dive Rite so you can compare.

Awesome! thanks for all the comments, saved me a ton of grief and $.

Any recommendations between hollis/Hog/Dive Rite?

Back
Top Bottom