Xmas/ New Years Dive Destination advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Howdy All!

I'm a PADI DM (live in SoCal, USA) with about 350 dives, and just found this Board--what a great resource!

Would be interested in reading about good dive destinations for Xmas/ New Year's time--prefer liveaboards, but unfortunately, cost IS an issue...would like to keep cost around $1500 for eveything (including air from LA) for 5-7 days diving--hopefully somewhere "tropical"!

Where else is a good place to post for ideas and suggestions on this??

Thanks in advance,
Harley

Harley1962:
Would be interested in reading about good dive destinations for Xmas/ New Year's time--prefer liveaboards, but unfortunately, cost IS an issue...would like to keep cost around $1500 for eveything (including air from LA) for 5-7 days diving--hopefully somewhere "tropical"! Where else is a good place to post for ideas and suggestions on this??Harley

It's hard for anyone to know what airfare is from LAX to anywhere else... but you do.

In posts such as this it would be a great idea to spell out different airfares for your possible ports of destination or gateway cities.

What comes to mind pretty quickly are places like Cozumel, Cancun, Belize and Roatan. Maybe you can find group rate trips from your LDS. Florida might be doable.

Two additional thoughts: remember that this is 'high season', and any liveaboard that is survivable is going to cost you $1500 just to step aboard.

====Where else is a good place to post for ideas and suggestions on this??====

I would start with a carful "search" both here and on Google Groups.

Harley

I was going to post a vacation week for sale on the Big Island of Hawaii. I have a time share for December 26 - January 1st. Great diving on the Big island. The Condo is a two bedroom two bath that sleeps 6. It is on the Kona side of the island. Paniolo Greens is the name. I have never sold my week befor, but I know that this is one of the hotest RED weeks of the year. Find some other divers to share in the cost of the Condo and book charter dives. The night Manta Dive was one of my best dives ever. Great shore dives around Kona too. I wanted to get $1200 for the week. Between six people, that would fit the budget. I have always used the week in the past or traded it. This year, I hope to find someone to rent it.

Harley1962:
Howdy All!

I'm a PADI DM (live in SoCal, USA) with about 350 dives, and just found this Board--what a great resource!

Would be interested in reading about good dive destinations for Xmas/ New Year's time--prefer liveaboards, but unfortunately, cost IS an issue...would like to keep cost around $1500 for eveything (including air from LA) for 5-7 days diving--hopefully somewhere "tropical"!

Where else is a good place to post for ideas and suggestions on this??

Thanks in advance,
Harley

Hi Harley,

I am going to Thailand on Dec 30-Jan 9. The cost of ticket from LAX to BKK is $837 (tax incl) using Cathay Pacific. Then my diving costs would be around 900 baht for 2 dives/day. That's about $22. My budget is also $1500, so that's why I chose this trip. Oh, I'm going to Koh Tao. The dive shop is Big Fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom