Yelled at for MOF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Think of how, by going MOF, we can each and every one of us help others, who are so inclined, fulfill their desperate need to feel important, powerful, and superior by correcting, criticising and lecturing their fellow divers on this subject.
Has anyone considered how we may actually owe it to such divers to take every opportunity to help make them feel useful and significant?

fuelfire.gif

stirpot.gif

Place your mask wherever you choose. As for the guy shouting if his exposure protection was less than 3mm I'd go for a purple nurple if more I would use the wedgie of doom.

my only desire to continue to put my MOF is to piss people off. I get so irritated with the whole "panicked diver" crowd. I was putting my mask up on my forehead long before I started diving and never had any issues. Due to "social pressure" I yank it down over my neck but it's a PITA to get it back onto my face from that position. It also gets tangled in the back up regulator these days. Forehead is the most convenient place for the mask if I want an unobstructed view at the surface in calm waters, appearances be damned. In rough seas, it stays on face though.

I kind of like it when divers wear their mask on their forehead it's how I've acquired several new masks or new to me! The last OW class I worked we had two students drop three masks off their head luckily I recovered two, one student lost two of them even after I told him repeatedly putting it on your head is not a good idea. We teach it could be a sign of panic one sign not the only one but more likely it will get knocked off your head and you'll lose it. When diving locally we are usually shore diving with surf and with a thick hood on you can't feel it on your head so it is either around my neck or I clip it it my shoulder D-ring.

Lost mask has been pointed out here several times. But who cares if someone is stupid enough to put MOF when it may become history? I too have a very nice collection. As well, it's almost just a common sense thing to not put MOF in certain situations. Not something that should have to be hammered home by instructors--maybe mention it once.
If it's rough enough that a wave may dislodge your mask you probably don't want to get splashed in the face either. No one had to tell me such things, but then again I am the greatest.

Last edited:

And you will note even with two kids jumping on him his mask stayed on his forehead. Only amateurs lose a mask from their foreheads. That's why ya'll find masks at OW classes.

Fifty three years and counting without losing a mask from my forehead. Just today I was swimming back with MOF talking to my buddy. The mask is hanging up down cellar waiting for it's next post dive ride on my forehead. :)

Actually PADI teaches that "Mask on forehead" is a sign of a panicked diver not a tired diver (Page 51 Rescue Diver Manual, published 2011). Mask on forehead rules are also passed down to basic certification levels as 'never do that' because it is 'symbolic' of panic. I was taught (NAUI) to pull the mask down around the neck. This prevented it being washed away if hit by a wave. FWIW, the Vintage Scuba Club, must have their ID picture taken with double hose mouthpiece around their neck and mask on their forehead just like Mike Nelson.
Try looking at a more recent edition. And at pictures in PADI sales literature!

There are multiple clues as to whether a diver is in distress. A mask placed carefully on the forehead is not one of them.

However, a mask on the forehead, in the water, is a sign that the diver is not comfortable wearing one, renders the diver vulnerable to wave splash, means they are not ready to dive, they cannot see to adjust their or their buddy's equipment if it is below the surface, makes fogging worse, and makes it easier to lose the mask. So it should be discouraged. When teaching I would discourage it by explaining all these points. I found that worked better than shouting. However, it seems that some instructors get off on imagining they are in a scene from Full Metal Jacket.

Some teach from the heart, because they truly wish to help others, or share something they value, while some I have come to realize, see teaching as more of a way they can exercise some small power to control others.
Their approaches and methods differ greatly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom