Yes or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is better to try on and test in a pool before buy.

Hi Jason, you are absolutely and definitely correct. I'm in dilemma right now and I need to make a right decision. The country that I live in right now has no scuba diving shop. Next month I will be traveling to Singapore and I have been looking for places to buy a bcd. Problem is email correspondence isn't very effective because I only got one reply after sending so many emails to different shops. I wish I could get better information from shops in Singapore so I can at least try before I buy. But I don't have information.
So, another options is to buy online. And I hate to buy things online. I can't try the the bcd before I buy. This is why I have been asking for opinions about which bcd are good and aren't that good. I hope you understand my situation. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noblesix, let me start out by saying I'm biased towards BPWs. I don't think there's any good reason to NOT dive BPW. However, that's me and it's how I work. I don't like the clutter of a jacket, I HATE weight pockets (I had a bad experience when all of my weight fell out at 95ft), and I see no need for the bulk. I also dislike how the jackets fit and how they distribute their weight. If you think you'd like the "clean" feeling of getting an inflator off of you, imagine the feeling of a truly simple setup. Another funny thing to note: most recreational brands are releasing more and more jacket-style BCs that look like BPWs.....is there a reason? But that's my opinion, and one of the great reasons to have your own brain....so you can have an opinion of your own.

On the i3 system, as has been said before, it's little more than a marketing gimmick. There's no real advantage to it over a standard setup. My hose stays tucked neatly on my chest, I exhaust off of my OPVs, and I never need to break proper trim to do so. I looked at the i3 since I LOVE gadgets, and really wanted one until I started looking in to it. The other problem with i3 is you as a dive pro. Many of the skills involve you showing clear instructions to students involving your inflator hose, and diving the most standard equipment possible is of huge benefit there. A BPW is standard in all the ways that matter (butt-dump location and inflator type/style). That's why I believe an Air2 to be "improper" for a dive pro to use. Let CERTIFIED divers learn to use the i3/Air2 systems as an exception to "standard" instead of teaching a special case as standard.

As for not being able to try before you buy, you HAVE tried BCDs before, haven't you? You must've gotten an idea of what your opinions might be. Do you like the cummerbund, or just a snap? How about d-rings? Any need for pockets? Has there been a certain brand that has fit you better? You mentioned disliking the inflator hose in your face, have you considered replacing the standard one with a short, stretchy inflator hose? Do you like Velcro or zippers better? Have you tried a back inflate versus a "standard" jacket? Have you tried one of the "minimalist" jackets vs a "fully-featured" (read: cluttered) jacket? What do YOU like?

noblesix, let me start out by saying I'm biased towards BPWs. I don't think there's any good reason to NOT dive BPW. However, that's me and it's how I work. I don't like the clutter of a jacket, I HATE weight pockets

Hehe. I'm getting more and more interested in BPWs, too!

What do YOU like?

I don't know what I like. The only kind of BCD I've ever used (since discover scuba diving, OW, and UW photography) is the traditional jacket style because that's what rental jacket is. I've never tried any other kinds so I don't know what I like (since I can't compare BCDs based on my own experience). Right now, my opinion about what i like and don't like is based on reading and a little bit of imagination. I've never seen a short, stretchy inflator hose. I don't know what it looks like.

Right now, I'm learning and getting a better perspective about BCDs. I ask for opinions so I can have idea about which BCDs that I shouldn't even bother to try. Now more and more people are mentioning about BPW and I will give it a try if the dive shops have it.

And you are also right about being pro. I am taking my divemaster internship soon. Most dive shops told me the exact same thing you told me. When you teach, you have to teach them how to use traditional BCDs. I don't mind and I think it's the right thing to teach new divers. If I have an i3 for example, I will just borrow a traditional BCs when I teach. When I guide or dive for fun, I will wear my personal BCDs. My job right now is like that. My company's SOP states that we have to wear dress shoes to work. I hate it so much. But when I go home, I switch to my comfortable Nike. Something like that.

Victor, the place where I live right now has very limited access to scuba equipment so I can't really go to shops and try. Hopefully next month on my vacation, I can find some shops where I can try on some. I will definitely try a BPW!

Thanks a lot for the tips, Victor.

Dee

Hehe. I'm getting more and more interested in BPWs, too!

I really don't mean to push you that way. I was stating my opinion, but I firmly believe all divers should try all types until they find what they like....if they have the option. I was giving you an impression as you may not (and don't seem to) have the option.

I don't know what I like. The only kind of BCD I've ever used (since discover scuba diving, OW, and UW photography) is the traditional jacket style because that's what rental jacket is. I've never tried any other kinds so I don't know what I like (since I can't compare BCDs based on my own experience). Right now, my opinion about what i like and don't like is based on reading and a little bit of imagination. I've never seen a short, stretchy inflator hose. I don't know what it looks like.

My point about your opinion isn't having tried back-inflates and BPWs and jackets, but what did you learn about your last jacket? Did you like the jacket wrapping around you, or would you prefer a less "cluttered" feeling? Some people say the jacket is reassuring. Did you have trouble with velcro sticking to you, or did you have trouble keeping the velcro closed? Little things like that can make a difference. The stretchy inflator hose is commonly found on HOG and Dive Rite wings. The corrugated part stretches, the hose off of your reg doesn't. It can be seen in this picture.

And you are also right about being pro. I am taking my divemaster internship soon. Most dive shops told me the exact same thing you told me. When you teach, you have to teach them how to use traditional BCDs. I don't mind and I think it's the right thing to teach new divers. If I have an i3 for example, I will just borrow a traditional BCs when I teach. When I guide or dive for fun, I will wear my personal BCDs. My job right now is like that. My company's SOP states that we have to wear dress shoes to work. I hate it so much. But when I go home, I switch to my comfortable Nike. Something like that.

Something like the sneakers analogy makes sense. The BPW divers (myself included) find all jacket-style BCDs to be like work shoes. I tried a jacket a few times after I bought a BPW and it bothered me senseless :D. BPWs are "typically" considered traditional BCDs in that sense, because they operate the same as a "typical" jacket.

Thanks a lot for the tips, Victor.

Anything I can do, any time. I'm a little biased, and usually wrong...but I try :D

I really don't mean to push you that way. I was stating my opinion, but I firmly believe all divers should try all types until they find what they like....if they have the option. I was giving you an impression as you may not (and don't seem to) have the option.My point about your opinion isn't having tried back-inflates and BPWs and jackets, but what did you learn about your last jacket? Did you like the jacket wrapping around you, or would you prefer a less "cluttered" feeling? Some people say the jacket is reassuring. Did you have trouble with velcro sticking to you, or did you have trouble keeping the velcro closed? Little things like that can make a difference. The stretchy inflator hose is commonly found on HOG and Dive Rite wings. The corrugated part stretches, the hose off of your reg doesn't. It can be seen in this picture.Something like the sneakers analogy makes sense. The BPW divers (myself included) find all jacket-style BCDs to be like work shoes. I tried a jacket a few times after I bought a BPW and it bothered me senseless :D. BPWs are "typically" considered traditional BCDs in that sense, because they operate the same as a "typical" jacket.Anything I can do, any time. I'm a little biased, and usually wrong...but I try :D
Hi Vic,Jacket style is fine. I don't dislike it, nor like it. I like it because i feel safe, but I don't like it because it wraps around my body and I feel quite uncomfortable. Then I learned about back inflate and bpws and I think they can provide better comfort when diving. Jim Lapenta also mentioned about BPWs and he even sent me a great article about it. That is why I'm getting more and more interested in BPWs. I want to try one because I'm not sure the straps are comfy. It's got a crotch strap! I wonder if it will bother me or I feel itchy down there. LOL.Dee

Personally.. I dive in boardshorts, with BPW, and have no issues with a crotchstrap. It feels a bit odd the first couple of times, then you wont notice it at all.
What I do love is that my tank stays put. There is no roll, and it doesn't hit me in the head. The rig doesnt rize above me at the surface, and everything stays put. The continuous harness ensures that my D-rings stay in the same spot on every dive. I dont have to look for them, I can clip anything off, and still not take my eye off whatever I am doing. There are no cheststraps or stuff that will interfere with "the girls"... and being quite curvy, I had trouble getting a bc that fit properly. A BPW can be adjusted to fit anyone, and especially if you are buying online, the fact that (nearly) one size fits all. (If you have a very short torso, or is very petite, then a short plate might be wize)

But then again... I hated my vest... and LOVE my BPW... so I am very partial!

1. Axiom i3
2. Cressi Air Travel
3. Dimension i3
4. Mares Dragon
5. Soul i3

Can you guys help me narrow down my options? I'm getting my very first BCD and I would like to get a second opinion. Just tell me yes or no.
For example:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Noooooo
5. Yesssss

I really appreciate it. Thank you.

UPDATED: I will use it for recreational diving in warm south east asian water. Probably for my divemaster internship as well. Cheers.

1. Axiom i3: YES. I'd also consider the regular Axiom. (excellent choice)

2. Cressi Air Travel: NOOOOOOOOOO

3. Dimension i3: Yes, excellent choice.

4. Mares Dragon: NOOO freaking way.

5. Soul i3: Can't answer this one since it is a women's BC and I have never tried it.

6. I would give the Black Ice a serious consideration especially if yo are going to be diving in colder water and would use a drysuit. Awesome BC for sure.

http://www.aqualung.com/us/content/view/626

(the BP/W God Squad people are a freaking cult)

(the BP/W God Squad people are a freaking cult)

No we're not! On a TOTALLY unrelated note, would you like some Kool-Aid? :D

Jokes aside, my preference for a BPW is one of my choice and not one of the opinions of others. I couldn't care less what others think about my gear, but I definitely see what they're talking about. Most are cheaper than most jackets, to boot. Like I said, I still haven't heard a SINGLE argument in favor of non-BPW BCDs. If you'd like to provide one, I'm all ears......er, eyes.....whatever, you know what I mean :D.

One more Jacket-style BCD to put on your list is a cheap, simple, "travel-style" back-inflate BCD. Aeris EX Lite. It can be had in the US for $180 brand new from a retailer and is practically identical to the MUCH more expensive Oceanic Biolite. My wife has one and is in love. Only problem is it only has one cam band and doesn't readily accept a second. It DOES, however, readily accept a crotch strap (which I have a hard time diving without). Even with shipping, it might be cheaper than the options you've listed. It's like 4lbs, packs up nice and flat, and is fairly neutral compared to most jacket-type BCDs.

Like I said, I still haven't heard a SINGLE argument in favor of non-BPW BCDs.

A jacket BC is an all-in one unit that can be used straight out of the box. It requires no assembly, no thought, and pockets, weight pouches, everything is right there. If you go the BPW route you have to buy a harness, a back plate, a wing, pockets, a weight belt, and assemble it all. Very nice jacket BCs can be had for $300, so it's not like BPW is even cheaper. Not to mention jacket BCs have hundreds of options, with lots of stylish designs, whereas BPW is only made by a small group of companies with limited options, and often look bland by comparison.

It wasn't arbitrary that jacket BCs came to dominate the market. They're much more convenient, and priced similarly, so someone just getting into diving, or who just dives a few times a year for fun, is much more drawn to them. I don't see the issue, either. There are instructors out there diving in jackets with perfect trim and comfort; everyone has their own preferences, and nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom