Yes that is correct...Another BP/W thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the crash course Tobin.

But what do I want from my plate?

Would I want a flat bend angle and a deep centre channel?

Would I want a cam band setup or would I want a STA setup?

Of all the things you mentioned, you didn't say what the effect of them would be on the plate.

Trinigordo:
Thanks for the crash course Tobin.

But what do I want from my plate?

Would I want a flat bend angle and a deep centre channel?

Would I want a cam band setup or would I want a STA setup?

Of all the things you mentioned, you didn't say what the effect of them would be on the plate.

I don't know what you want, or how you plan to use your gear.

I can explain the design choices used on DSS plates.

In my experience...

Flatter plate bends are moe comfortable on a wider range of people than steeply bent plates, especially when used with a single tank. It's little understood, but BP fit differently when using single then when using doubles. Most plates are designed for doubles, and adapted for use with singles. The downside of a flatter plate is there is little room for storage between the plate and the diver. Some prefer to store lift bags between the plate and the diver, in storage pack or behind a plate pad. This is easily overcome by either securing a rolled up lift bag on bungee's across the bottom of the plate, or storing a SMB in a pocket.

Center channels provide room for the wing nuts used to secure doubles. DSS plates have as shallow a center channel as possible that still allows mounting doubles. Our delrin thumbwheels provide secure attachment, and avoid clearance problems with exposure suits.

A shallow center channel moves a single tank closer to the diver. That improves valves access, and reduces the overall profile of the diver.

DSS plates (and most others currently available ) include slots in the center channel to directly mount single tanks. This give the user the choice of direct mounting, or using a STA. The DSS single wing / plate system securely mounts a single tank close the diver without needing a STA. Tear down and cleaning is quick and easy.

DSS plates, and a some others, feature two sets of holes in the center channel at 11" centers. This gives the diver a means of adjusting trim when using doubles.

We offer bolt on weights, if you need more ballast, neoprene pads, and thumbwheel retainer as accessories.

Overmolded harness slot grommets reduce harness wear.

DSS currently offers 5 sizes of SS plates and 3 sizes of Kydex plates.

Those are the main points

Tobin

Trinigordo:
And what are the pro's and con's of donut bladders compared to horseshoe bladders?

Some may tell you otherwise, but in actual use there is very little difference between our horseshoe wings and Donut wings.

Both are very narrow center panel designs. This narrow design, introduced by DSS almost 3 years ago, is the key to easy venting, whether the wing is a donut or not.

Which wing would I recommend for you? Which ever wing offers the appropriate lift.

Tobin

Trinigordo:
And what are the pro's and con's of donut bladders compared to horseshoe bladders?

:popcorn:

This could be good. MOF/NMOF, Creation vs. Evolution, donuts vs horseshoes... :D

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom