Yet another...What Insurance should I get? thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a Dork Fish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know there is a bunch of threads out there but unfortunately after reading through some of them, I am still lost.

I am not questioning if I am going to get it or not. Yes, I want it!

I am questioning, What kind and through who?

I contacted my medical insurance company to see if I am covered once I am out of the country. After some back and forth conversation, she said yes I am covered (within reason). That statement makes me nervous. She is going to send out a benefits book so I know exactly what it says. Her example: If I went there and broke my leg, yes I am covered. If I go there with the intention of having a procedure done, No I am not covered.

I want to know that I am covered if my flight is cancelled, luggage issues, etc. (The typical trip insurance coverages) More importantly, I want to know that my gear is covered because NO I cannot just replace it. I compared a few through insuremytrip.com but unsure on which one to pick. How do you decide? I narrowed them down to American express (Global travel shield deluxe), TravelSafe (Vacation Ins.) and M.H. Ross (Advantage Bridge). To be honest, I don't really know what to look for in an insurance policy.

So with that being said, am I going to need multiple Insurance policies, or is there one that covers everything. If I go with a trip insurance like travel safe, will I still need Dan insurance?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Andrea

I always travel with trip insurance. Never had to use it-knock on wood. I also utilize insuremytrip.com. to do a side-by-side comparison. The companies that I have used is Travelex, Travel Safe and CSA. I look for baggage delay allowances and flight delay coverage. Most companies will cover a hotel if the delay is greater than 12 hours. If you think about it, say you arrive at Miami at 9 PM and they cannot fly you out until 8 am. Most trip insurance companies will not cover that as it is less than 12 hours. I like Travelex because they will cover you for delays of 5 or more hours.

I still use DAN as well. I know somebody who got bent while in Coz. She had to pay her hospital/hyperbaric treatments before they would release her otherwise she would have to wait in jail until payment received. From what I understand, DAN pays within a very short amount of time-usually within 24 hours. Hopefully somebody who has had first hand experience could offer some more insight. I guess having both types of coverage may be over the top, but it does give me peace of mind.

you can get good gear insurance through DEPP. Diver In surance Protection Plan

So let me see if I have this right...?

Trip Insurance- Someone like Travel Safe, etc.
Gear Insurance- Depp, etc.

Do I still need to have Dan insurance?

Questions:
If my gear was lost by the airlines, who covers that?
If my gear is stolen, who covers that?

You want DAN insurance. It's the best bargain out there. Chamber treatments often cost thousands of dollars and many chambers won't treat you unless you can prove you have the means to pay or unless you have a DAN card. They also pay for evacuation and that can run into 10's of thousands of dollars.
I don't trust any of the travel insurance companies personally. They all seem pretty sleasy to me but I admit I have used them on trips where I think there is a potential or likely problem. At any rate, I'd ask them to see a policy before paying. You'll be amazed at all the exceptions and somewhat confusing wording.

So the Dan insurance would be for just medical?

So I am going to need three seperate policies?
Trip, medical and gear coverage

That's about right.

For gear, If an airline looses your gear, its a toss up about what you might get and how long it will take. A few years ago, Delta lost a bag of mine in January and I finally got a check in late September.

In the US, you may be able to get replacement costs less deprecation, and the airlines gets to say what the deprecation is and wants original receipts for all gear claimed. Say if your new $500 reg is 2 years old, the airline can say that the reg will deprecate fully in 5 years, or $100 per year, so you get only $300. Next, for a US domestic flight, airlines are only liable for up to $3300 per bag for losing your luggage. A diver can easily be way over that with computers, cameras, etc. Finally, airlines have a long list of things they will not cover. You need to check that list for each airline.

If you go international, its worse and can be much more complicated.

Check your home owners or renters insurance (if you don't have any, we need to have another talk) to see if that will cover gear. If it will, see if you can get full replacement coverage. Unless you get full replacement, you can/will get hit for the deductable and then depreciation. In other words, you might get 25 to 50 cents on the dollar for the gear.

Your homeowners/rental insurance may require you to go through all the steps with the airline first before they will take your claim. Just make sure you get a file number from your insurance so that they can’t say you didn’t put in a claim in time as you are waiting for the airlines. Also, theft of gear at home or at your destination should be covered by the home owners/renter policy.

Here is a good web page on airlines and luggage.
Your Rights if your Bags are Lost by the Airlines

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom