YMCA cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've received excellent training through the YMCA (OW, AOW, & SLAM Rescue). The Y also permits you to receive a CMAS card. I was told CMAS may have more recognition overseas. My Y card has been accepted throughout the caribbean but I've always taken my CMAS card just in case.

I have my own opinions about other organizations... but for the sake of not arguing I refuse to tell some one one is better than the other. I do agree that the level of training and the quality can vary greatly with each.... I have done a fair amount of research on the more main stream organizations, and have many friends who have given me their opinions (along with solid reasonings for their preferences) about them.

My point of my previous post is that a specific program can be taught or presented either good or bad depending on who is teaching it. Having an instructor actually take the time to help you understand and actually learn is quite important. One who actually makes you feel comfortable...
Yes unfortunately i am new to the sport... but after to talking to several others this is the general opinion and makes sense.

-Tricia

btw... I am training under ssi... My future dive partner is cert naui aow...(for over 3 yrs) I have gotten the impression you think I am using padi.

tricia3909:
Having an instructor actually take the time to help you understand and actually learn is quite important.

YMCA standards actually encourage this.

Look no further than the YMCA.
I agree with the previous poster about the padi course material and videos, they leave a lot to be desired.
The YMCA program is much more detailed. Quality instruction is a given, not the exception.

Regards,
Mitch

No question, if you have an opportunity to get a YMCA certification, you should...one on one or otherwise. You will have an opportunity to get a CMAS card, because the YMCA is the ONLY certification that CMAS will recognize as up-to-standard.
Because of the CMAS card, you will have 2 cards to flash when asked to rent tanks, dive, etc. On that note, however, you will never run into a problem using your YMCA card. It is the standard and any sound dive operation will recognize it.
I don't feel that the instructor could make or break this deal for you under the YMCA. All YMCA instructors are held to a high standard.....
I took my courses through the Y, and watched my husband take a course through PADI...the difference is profound. Do not let the "other guys" convince you that your card will be unrecognized if you go with the Y, because they will try.
Happy, safe diving to you, whichever you choose.

YMCA is accepted everywhere. Also later on if you wanted to take an advanced class you can do it even with PADI or NAUI. If your going to dive all over Europe you can use it to get a CMAS cert card.

You have no worries at all.

I don't know any dive shop, in the Americas, Britain or Egypt, that doesn't recognise YMCA as one of the better agencies. Carry your YMCA card with pride and confidence!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom