YOKE vs DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEVER had any issue.
Neither have I. But hey, I'm a monster. I offer a differing opinion and you accuse me off all sorts of nefarious intent. I still won't use WD-40. It's not all that good of a penetrating oil in any event.
The contamination will not enter the tank as long as
I never said it would. I just avoid it.
you should read your own posts again
I often do. It's you who seem upset that I've disagreed with you.

Remember, the DIN valve was created in the US and first called the 5/8s Valve. DIN merely tested and approved the valve, and marketers were quick to use that to promote the valve, changing the name. When I first learned to scuba in 1969, the yoke was called the "International Valve" and rightly so as it was used everywhere in the world. DIN has been popularized by tech divers and tech diver wannabes because it handles higher pressures and snags less. The yoke became more popular than the DIN simply because it's quicker and easier for most people as well as being robust enough to easily handle 3000 psi tanks.

Neither have I. But hey, I'm a monster. I offer a differing opinion and you accuse me off all sorts of nefarious intent. I still won't use WD-40. It's not all that good of a penetrating oil in any event.
I never said it would. I just avoid it.
I often do. It's you who seem upset that I've disagreed with you.

Remember, the DIN valve was created in the US and first called the 5/8s Valve. DIN merely tested and approved the valve, and marketers were quick to use that to promote the valve, changing the name. When I first learned to scuba in 1969, the yoke was called the "International Valve" and rightly so as it was used everywhere in the world. DIN has been popularized by tech divers and tech diver wannabes because it handles higher pressures and snags less. The yoke became more popular than the DIN simply because it's quicker and easier for most people as well as being robust enough to easily handle 3000 psi tanks.
I am not upset, I am disappointed as you made false claims like the 'geopolitical' nonsense.

Yes, I've already mentioned that Americans should be proud as you invented the DIN valve, Germans only improved it. In many places in the EU they still call it INT.

Tech divers include deep, cave, wreck and ice divers. Wannabees need to be defined: Do you mean folks that prefer a long hose but don't do wreck penetration / cave diving? Guys looking like Christmas trees that use lots of bolt-snaps and hang gear from every possible d-ring? I know a few...

We agree that it handles more pressure and snags less. You forgot to mention that the O-ring is encapsulated instead of 'sandwiched' therefore safer. That was my position since the beginning.

Regarding YOKE being more robust, I agree that it might handle abuse above water a little better as the valve itself is protected by the A-clamp. However, how well does the YOKE handle knocks and bumps when pressurized? How many DIN O-rings have you ever seen bursting?

Closing, you said you and your students use DIN. Why, Tech Divers or Tech Divers wannabes?

Germans only improved it.
They only tested it.
You forgot to mention that the way the O-ring is encapsulated instead of 'sandwiched'
Ididn't forget because they're the same in that regard. Both o-rings fit in a groove that butts up to a face. The DIN uses a bigger o-ring that's a tad more forgiving and sits in a groove on the reg which seals against the face on the valve. The yoke sits in a groove on the valve which seals against the reg's face. Both sit in a groove. Both seal against a face. Both are "sandwiched".
Regarding YOKE being more robust,
The yoke valve is not "more" robust... it's "robust enough" to handle most tanks.

Neither solution will make you a better diver nor will the reg breathe easier. I use DIN because I dive caves. I don't change for OW because I like my reg.

When I go diving in this part of the world ie. Asia. Tank valve is never an issue no matter where I want to go as long as my 1st stage is fitted with A-clamp.
The yoke valve is not "more" robust... it's "robust enough" to handle most tanks.

Neither solution will make you a better diver nor will the reg breathe easier. I use DIN because I dive caves. I don't change for OW because I like my reg.
There must be good reason why A-clamp is the standard in Asia.

They only tested it.
Ididn't forget because they're the same in that regard. Both o-rings fit in a groove that butts up to a face. The DIN uses a bigger o-ring that's a tad more forgiving and sits in a groove on the reg which seals against the face on the valve. The yoke sits in a groove on the valve which seals against the reg's face. Both sit in a groove. Both seal against a face. Both are "sandwiched".

The original 1950 connection valve type was called the 5/8. The Germans certified it indeed.
Later German DIN477 standards and ISO revisions changed the O-ring size and groove depth and improved reliability.

Yes you did. You omitted it because your pride doesn't allow you to state the obvious: DIN is safer.
You started disagreeing with my position with no reason at all, you dive DIN because of the same benefits I've mentioned in several occasions.

Are you using a DIN regulator on Cave diving ONLY because of the overhead environment?
OR because it has a safer connection overall and the risk of an O-ring catastrophically leaking is minimized?
AND if its has a safer connection to use inside a Cave, how does that benefit gets lost once you switch to Open Water???

You know very well, that the amount of friction and lateral forces that affect the YOKE O-ring as well as the exposure to the elements and the frequency of use are nothing similar to the encapsulated O-ring on a DIN regulator that is threaded inside the valve. Both seal against a metal surface but one seals in a more secure way than the other. Period. It is not my personal opinion, it is common knowledge. Google it.

The YOKE valve being 'robust' was mentioned by another member. It makes sense that if you drop a YOKE reg above water, the impact will be absorbed better by the A-clamp than than a DIN regulator if you somehow manage to drop it on its threads. However, YOKE are susceptible to directional impacts that might tear the O-ring because of the way it is connected. DIN valves are impervious to this, therefore Safer.

No one said anything about DIN making you a better diver. A safer perhaps.

When I go diving in this part of the world ie. Asia. Tank valve is never an issue no matter where I want to go as long as my 1st stage is fitted with A-clamp.

There must be good reason why A-clamp is the standard in Asia.
Yes Centrals, Asia has adopted the YOKE standard as well and YES, there's a good reason:
US tourism in Asia made Dive Centers equip their tanks with YOKE valves, that's why you don't have any issues diving with your regs. You won't have any issues in EU also, we take care of all divers as we use valve inserts to accommodate YOKE & DIN regulators.

We already agreed that IF we want to dive in Asia, we will bring our 30-50$ adapter. Problem solved.
The whole thread was about DIN connection being SAFER and some markets like the US still using YOKE because of habit and Dive Operators having YOKE tanks as well. Gosh.

we already agreed that IF we want to dive in Asia, we will bring our 30-50$ adapter. Problem solved.
Except if you are a malaka who forgets to take his adapter when he goes to. Belize. Gamoto!

I mostly only use DIN because it's just the standard in Europe, h

however I do not agree AT ALL with the statement that din is more resistant to abuse. In case of an emergency an INt reg is super easy to disassemble underwater and alot faster than a din reg. If a tank falls out of a trunk with a din reg 90% of the cases the din reg is bust.

INT regs are bombproof in that regard, you'll never damage the reg, only the int screw.

Yes they leak more often, yes they snag easier, yes in theory and practice it's just a better design to have the o-ring encased.
But if there's one thing that INT excels at it's ease of use, speed of deployment and disconnection and standing abuse.

and let's be honest, the snag hazard isn't caused by the int-post on the valve, but lack of awareness, the horrid hose routing / looping and weird snaggly bits on their harness/bcd's.

the majority of Dive Centers rent bottles with INT valves and refuse to invest in a hybrid solution (new tank valves with 'donut' inserts)
Not true.....when it is time to replace a cylinder or valve, most get the convertible DIN/INT valve.
A little W-40 and heat are used to remove stubborn / stuck inserts
Bad idea, and unnecessary.
you are supposed to clean thoroughly the valve prior to usage
Really? Why would this be necessary unless you have contaminated it with WD-40?
15 years ago, DIN was practically unknown in the US.
You are inventing facts.

If a tank falls out of a trunk with a din reg 90% of the cases the din reg is bust.

Yoke or DIN, I would not use the first stage before thorough inspection. The Yoke is more problems than DIN in this scenario in my experience but would not use either until they undergo thorough inspection.

INT regs are bombproof in that regard, you'll never damage the reg, only the int screw.
Not true at all. All the regulators that were junked or had to have major repair were Yoke in this type of accident in my experience (we were the go to repair center for all of the rescue teams in the county)

it's just a better design to have the o-ring encased.
DIN or Yoke? It certainly can't be the Yoke design.

But if there's one thing that INT excels at it's ease of use
Not true at all.

and standing abuse.
Not really.

and let's be honest, the snag hazard isn't caused by the int-post on the valve, but lack of awareness, the horrid hose routing / looping and weird snaggly bits on their harness/bcd's.

You aren't being honest nor fair, the comparison here is between Yoke and DIN, DIN is less snag hazard than Yoke. The other issues you bring up are a different subject and can be discussed in a different thread. The OP's discussion is Yoke vs. DIN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom