You are all right!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be careful about shedding weight too quickly. My home bud and I were diving the Florida Keys last week in our 7 mil long jumpsuits, and I used 28# on the deep wreck dives, 30# on the shallow reef dives. That is - after a wreck dive, I'd remove my pony with 3# of neg buoyancy and add 5# to my belt pockets. Found it easier to wear some in the integrated BC and some in the weight belt.

My vacation-diving buddy felt so much in control on a wreck dive that he shed 2# for the subsequent reef dive. I'd already told him otherwise, so I kept quiet and let him learn by swimming back to the boat to retrieve more lead. :wink:

We had pleasue boat drivers crusing between the dive boats on Molasses - the most popular dive site in the US. :silly: It was good to be able to resubmerge quickly.

creamofwheat:
I dive in a neoprene dry suit with a layer of polypropylene and a layer of fleece. and cant forget the neoprene hood and gloves as well. :wink:

it IS a lot of weight, definitely. but i am just shedding the pounds as of late, it's really rather nice. :D

TSandM...thank goodness i am not the only female who wears lots of weight. makes me feel better. hoping i will shed some more though.

It sounds like you are right on track. Keep doing the end of dive checks. You're not warm water diving, we need what we need.

BTW what are you running for a cylinder?

Pete

Yes, the more you dive the more you become comfortable in the water, that translates into a better SAC and less lead normally. Don't worry about the weight as you're doing the checks and diving a drysuit, neoprene no less. I use less weight but then I'm not you nor is anybody else. You just have to use what you need, not what others might think you need and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Being over or underweighted makes for a dive that just is not as much fun.

There are things you can do to use less lead such as a BP/W and steel tanks for example. Unless the weight bothers you I wouldn't do anything just yet, then maybe use steel tanks to lose a little bit, then... It's a never ending cycle. As long as you have fun that's what counts.

It is very true that with time spent under water you get more comfortable and your skills exponentially improve. I only have about 145 dives logged, but looking back to my first 15 and now, it is incredible the difference. I too carry a fair bit of lead, but I have noticed my tank lasts longer and I get to enjoy more time below the surface. I have also been able to shed some over the last three years. Buoyancy and a calm demeanor underwater make for a very enjoyable dive for not only you, but also those you dive with.

The beauty of Scuba diving, is you can always look to improve or refine your skills. By simply diving and paying attention, you will notice a difference. You cannot put a dollar figure on a good dive buddy though. A good dive buddy will help you improve all the time as well.

Good diving to everybody.

By the way, for us crazy Canadians, I have just posted some pictures on here that give you an idea of just what we will go through. The water in Wiarton, Ontario yesterday was 36 degrees (2 degrees F) and we were diving in 7mm. YIKES says it all, but it is always good.

By the way, for us crazy Canadians, I have just posted some pictures on here that give you an idea of just what we will go through. The water in Wiarton, Ontario yesterday was 36 degrees (2 degrees F) and we were diving in 7mm. YIKES says it all, but it is always good.
I think you mean 36F or 2C...? 2F would be some very solid ice.

Still, I can do my 7 mil over a 1 mil with heavy beanie, gloves, boots down to 50F. I doubt I could do 36F, even with warm water poured inside the wetsuit first. But then, I'm probably twice you age. :D

But your body can adjust somewhat. The first time I did 50F like that, I couldn't stand it. Tried it again a month later, and no problem. Bodies learn...

Don't worry about shedding weight. It's not race by any means. Just log your dives with your gear layouts and make notes how comfortable your were and about your trim. Review these and makes decisions based on logged history and your comfort.

You are diving really cold water in a neoprene drysuit with undergarments and that's a huge amount of bouyancy to weight down. Women tend to be colder than men, so they need more protection in a drysuit and hence more weight.

Also remember that not everyone sheds huge amounts of weight. I started at 24lbs in a full 7mm, I still dive 22lbs. If you are properly weighted, you are not going to be shedding huge amounts of weight.

It sounds like you are progessing well and enjoying yourself and that's what's important.

Fish_Whisperer:
LOL! I'm sure I would take a lot of weight. Brrrrr.... Just the thought of diving in those temperatures makes my teeth chatter.

-The Warm Water Wuss :D
Did you see his pics - snow ball fights in the water...
By the way, for us crazy Canadians, I have just posted some pictures on here that give you an idea of just what we will go through.

Steve, steve, steve, that is soo cold. I'm with the fish...my teeth are chattering.

Cream of Wheat you have gotten lots of good advice here. I have a grilfriend that handn't been diving in years. She had told me she had to use lots of weight. i couldn't believe it until I had actually seen it. She is as thin as a rail. There are so many things that go into figuring your weight. U sound to b doing fantastic so far.

Here is a little sunshine to warm up that water for you brave souls. :mostlysun

I wear 30 lbs with a steel tank. Shell dry suit and super thick undies. The ladies here in the PacNW need what they need. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom